August 7, 2015, by Helen Whitehead
Sibling rivalry? The Learning Technology blog
One of Library Matters’ sister blogs is the Learning Technology Blog. It has been running since September 2010 with lots of enthusiasm for anything technology and learning related.
Staples of the blog include information, advice and tips about Moodle, Turnitin, Rogo, Xerte Online Toolkits and the Xerte project, all systems core to the University’s learning technology provision. We also cover aspects of running MOOCs and NOOCs, OER and an eclectic selection of web-based resources of use to learners and teachers. We announce events, both online and in person, and post video recordings of events and occasional how-to videos. You can even find film reviews, guest posts, an Advent calendar, and extended think pieces.
We hope the Learning Technology blog is of interest to our staff, students and other learning technologists and academics in the HE sector and beyond. We link to our Help pages in Workspace and flag up items of interest in other University and external blogs, and look forward to co-ordinating with the Library Matters blog to provide all our readers with relevant and timely information and opinions. So definitely no sibling rivalry! We’d like to think we are more of a supportive big sister.
Here are some historical and more recent posts to give a flavour of our blog (and the speed with which learning technology moves on – or not!):
- Improvements to the [Moodle] Accessibility Block The developers respond to user feedback and provide ability to remove the “distracting” background image (2015)
- Recordings available from T&L Seminar: HELM’s Deep… into e-learning Recordings of January 2015’s session featuring the work of Nottingham’s Health Sciences E-Learning and Media (HELM) team
- Green Gown award for Sustainability MOOC (November 2014)
- The Xerte Project and the Apereo Foundation (September 2014)
- Structuring and facilitating conversations online workshop recorded A recording of part of a workshop by Sarah Speight and Helen Whitehead on practical ways of “Structuring and facilitating conversations online” (May 2014)
- The MOOCing Dead: Andy Beggan’s 2013 experience of being a student on the American MOOC Society, Science, Survival: Lessons from AMC’s The Walking Dead
- What is a MOOC? A beginner’s guide from January 2013