March 15, 2019, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Buxi from China

I’m Buxi Duan from China and I’m doing my Masters degree in English Literature. Welcome to the University of Nottingham! I’ve prepared some Q&A to help you get a quick glimpse of life and study at Nottingham. If you are interested in any particular subject or want to know more beyond my general intro, feel free to contact me!

Why did you choose Nottingham?

As well as its international reputation and high teaching quality, the vital reason I chose Nottingham is as I’m interested in D.H. Lawrence! Sons and Lovers (1913), The Rainbow (1915), Women in Love (1920), and Lady Chatterley’s Lover (1928). I bet you’ve heard at least one of Lawrence’s novels or short stories; I mean, some of his works are among the 100 greatest British novels!

What’s the course like here?

I’d say it varies among different subjects, and courses are actually conveyed in different forms such as lectures, seminars, and workshops, etc. Students’ workload is unquestionably highly intensive but, no worries! Because the academic atmosphere here is splendid and there are the most responsible and passionate lecturers and tutors who get your back!

As you’re an international student, how did you adapt a totally different life here?

Honestly it is difficult to adapt a new lifestyle and I am still doing so. Here are some of my tips for you:

Do as Romans do. It sounds like a cliché but it’s actually a golden rule. If you are not sure what to do or how to do something, take a break and see what the locals do. Appreciation toward local customs can also earn others’ respect;

Be brave and step out of your comfort zone. It is true that international students prefer to hang out and study with their countrymen, partly because of the language barrier and partly due to different customs. Try to make some difference and speak English (this is for those who take English as their Foreign Language)! The British are really warm-hearted and patient, so don’t worry about your grammar, pronunciation, or choice of words, just say it and believe, practice makes perfect!

Remember, you are not alone. Living in a different country is difficult but that doesn’t mean you have to suffer in silence. Aside from an academic tutor for studies, our university also pays attention to our mental health and personal life. Specialised mental health advice is totally private and confidential, so you are able to see them should you have any concerns. Remember: you don’t have to be strong all the time and releasing the burden from time to time is beneficial to your mental health.

I’m not confident about my English, is there any class designed to help me out?

Yes of course! Apart from your daily practice, you can also attend in-sessional English language support courses provided by CELE (Centre for English Language Education). Courses cover listening, reading, speaking, and writing and are normally delivered at noon or afternoon with multiple sessions, so there’s no need to worry about time clashes. I know I’ve said several times but I have to repeat it again, lecturers and tutors are really enthusiastic and helpful!

What about the accommodation?

You have plenty of choices here. Private house might be a choice for those who coming with their friends; bill-included accommodation is another choice for those don’t want to deal with numbers or figures.

There are also resident tutors who can help us with our living issues.

For more information about accommodation, you can visit University accommodation page.

Is it far from my accommodation to University? What about the transportation?

Accommodation is not far from campuses and there are also University Hopper Buses between different campuses, so it is basically convenient for you to commute. Timetables of Hopper Buses can be accessed here.

You can also cycle or take a bus/tram to the campus.

I want to know more about Nottingham, where should I visit?

Nottingham is famous for the legend of Robin Hood, and there’s a statue of him and his friends beside the Nottingham Castle, in the downtown area.

If you are interested in history and heritage, local museums and galleries will give you a general introduction too this area; if you just want to walk around and enjoy the pastoral countryside scenes, Bestwood Forest would be my recommendation. There are also some nature reserves in Nottinghamshire which are worth visiting.

Thanks a lot for reading my article! And again, welcome to the University of Nottingham! Hope you can enjoy your life staying here!

If you have any questions about studying at the University of Nottingham as an international student, you can get in touch with our International Ambassadors via email.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors