June 23, 2016, by International students

Meet our Student Callers: Yin Mar from Myanmar (Burma)

unipark2 600x300

If you hold an offer to study at The University of Nottingham, you might be lucky enough to receive a call from one of our international students. Burmese student Yin Mar has been speaking to students all over Asia to let them know what Nottingham is really like.

Why did you choose to study at Nottingham?

After I decided to choose the oncology path, I Googled ‘master of oncology teaching universities’ and I found some universities offering master of oncology including Nottingham. I looked for its rankings and I asked my seniors about Nottingham, and some of my seniors had graduated from here with master of oncology, and they really recommended it to me.

What is your favorite thing about living in Nottingham?

It’s hard to say which is my favourite thing about Nottingham.  Because I love everything about it! Since the very first time I stepped into Nottingham, even the atmosphere and peaceful surroundings attracted me and I fell in love with them more day by day.

Where is your favorite place in Nottingham, and why?

University Park Campus

University Park Campus

My favorite place in Nottingham is our University Park Campus.  We can see beautiful mother nature in University Park every season. Even in winter, it looks pretty.

Where is your favorite place to eat out in Nottingham, and why?

My favorite place to eat out is COSMO buffet, because we can get a huge variety of dishes from all over the world and no doubt that seafood lovers like me cannot resist such delicious authentic dishes.

Are you part of any societies?

No I am not. But I have a dream in my heart that I want to create a Myanmar student society.

What’s the most frequently asked question students ask you, and what advice do you give them?

Students usually asked about the accommodation, weather, starting life of being an international student in foreign country and of course, the last but not the least is food.

I would like to suggest to students that they can ask questions freely to friendly international callers like us or can email to International Office about their questions.

Yin Mar in London

Yin Mar in London

What’s your number one tip for international/EU students coming to Nottingham?

My number one important tip for all the international students is never to be afraid to step out from your comfort zone and once you step out of it, you will be amazed how capable of you are and you will be mature enough to stand on your own feet and there is nothing we cannot do. If there is a will, there will be always a way. Never stop trying to reach your dreams.

Raceforlife 600x600

At the Race For Life charity event

What are you hoping to do after you graduate/finish your course?

After I graduate, I will go back to Burma (Myanmar) and try to save patients with the knowledge that UoN has taught me.

Posted in AcademicCultural integrationFoodInternational Student callersNottingham city