March 13, 2015, by International students

The course and the skills I learnt are nothing short of life-changing

The same as many other students who have to choose a subject for 3 years degree-level studying, it was quite clear to me that media and communications studies was for me. Looking back on the rich experiences I had in promotional events during my time in college and my aspiration to work in the creative industry, I found that International Media and Communications Studies (IMC) at UoN provides a diverse and broad range of knowledge for a future media expert.

blog cut
IMC offered by the uni is theory based, with a language as a compulsory module for two years, which appealed to me! Don’t worry about the production side of media, UoN runs the entirely student-led magazine Impact, a radio channel and a television station called NSTV and you could work with them alongside your course as extracurricular activities. I was keen to acquire an in-depth understanding of the media industry, which remains mysterious in our society, coupled with my interest in learning a third language. I put Nottingham as my firm choice in UCAS and I was fortunate enough to get in.

Before starting my course, I had no clue it would change my view of the world so much……

20150311_140520_mh1426243693536_mr1426243716837[1]
IMC sheds a light on the relationship between power and media, democracy and social media, internet activism and journalism, etc. I realised the social media we’re using every day has changed not just the way we communicate with friends but how it has used mass media as a means for calling for social justice. Since then, I have developed a critical mind in viewing media and social problems in politics. I realised so many problematic issues are hampering an even development and now I’m encouraged to devote my future to rectifying these problems.

476627747

Thanks to the structure of my course, we have two years of intense studies of a language of our choice; if we fail a language, we fail our year and this motivates me to progress my linguistic skills. Therefore, I really hope to utilise my Spanish in the workplace and this also allows me to stand out from the crowd as a global job applicant when looking for a job in Spanish speaking countries.  The theoretical knowledge of media also taught us about the work practice in the media industry. Experiences in media production would also allow me to tactically transfer my skills for work. I believe my critical thinking ability will be long lasting and shapes me as an insightful person!

The UK is rich in culture and history; I surely think it is the right place for media studies. By being a graduate of UoN and young adult from Asia, I believe my multicultural awareness will appeal to employers in this global market. I’m pleased that I obtained a proficiency in languages and all other valuable skills to get me equipped for my career prospects!

Paula Chung, an international student from Hong Kong studying BA International Media and Communications Studies at The University of Nottingham.

Posted in AcademicCareers