August 22, 2014, by International students

A guide to Nottingham’s healthcare services, by its most accident-prone student

Sometimes, I wonder if I attract injuries and accidents…

Ever since I was a child, I have always managed to hurt myself. Whether it was running around during break-time, playing with my brother at home or even at big family celebrations I always managed to injure or hurt myself. My family used to think that as I grew up, slowly I would hurt myself less and less.

23 YEARS LATER…

I STILL PROVE EVERYONE WRONG.

Nelly featured image

On crutches after one of my many accidents

Ever since I arrived in Nottingham, I feel as though I have visited every hospital and health centre or clinic. I was confused at first to where I should go for what injury. But after being in Nottingham for eight months, I finally got the hang of it!

My first day of class was a pretty exciting day. I was finally starting the programme I had been dreaming of, and I was so busy planning how I wanted to engage in the intensely activity-orientated campus life!

My first day of class was also the day of basketball tryouts! I had been playing since I was 15 years old, and there was no chance I was missing out on playing for The University of Nottingham!

Nelly basketball

Feeling excited

Unfortunately, 30 minutes into the tryouts, I fell and injured myself.

Advice: Don’t ever just think you are FINE… Make sure you are FINE before you take any additional steps!

I left the Sports Centre and walked to Portland Building with great difficulty. When I got to Portland Building, I collapsed from the pain of my bloated foot. I didn’t know who to call at that time!

Good news: I made the team, but I couldn’t play.

Advice: When in doubt call 111 a new NHS service that will be able to decide with you on the phone which healthcare service you need.

The next morning I called 111, and they advised me to go Accident and Emergency (A&E) as my case needed specific care. I was on crutches and was going to start physiotherapy soon.

Advice: the two main hospitals in the Nottingham area are the Queen’s Medical Centre (QMC) and City Hospital.

When I called to reserve my physiotherapy session, the lady on the phone asked me where I would prefer, QMC or City. I thought as she said City, she meant the location, in the City Centre. I almost missed out on my appointment.

Make sure to book the one nearest to you, and take a friend with you!

If you have a small injury and are unsure of what to do, you can always visit your local pharmacist, who will be happy to help. There is a Boots Pharmacy on University Park Campus. I once fell during a hike in the Peak District, and I was worried that my injury had gotten infected. So I visited Boots, they ended up transferring me to the Walk-in Clinic which is open daily from 8am-8pm and does not require an appointment.

Follow this link to find your nearest walk-in centre.

Nelly hiking

Still smiling!

Cripps Health Centre is where I had personally registered during orientation. I often visit Cripps if I need to book an appointment with a nurse or doctor depending on the situation. They are often really busy and you might be unable to get an appointment for a few days unless it’s urgent, especially during flu season. I have visited Cripps Health Centre multiple times when I’ve had the flu, when I was getting dizzy and fainting on campus so I needed a blood test. In my experience, most appointments run on time and rarely take up time as much as they did in hospitals or in other clinics, as they already have your information in their database.

Wishing you an injury-free Nottingham experience!

Nelly Awad, international student from Lebanon studying MA in Global Citizenship, Identities and Human Rights at The University of Nottingham.

Posted in ServicesSports