July 10, 2024, by Joe

Kush Tanvani – Environment Agency

Exhilarating and enriching, the two words I will probably use to describe my in-person 10-week long internship with the Regulatory Industry team of the Environment Agency (hereinafter EA). I came across this internship when I got the email regarding placement opportunities during the Spring term from the university, and I just knew I had to apply. Having previously worked with communities reeling from environmental impacts in three heavy mining and industrial States in India, I applied for the internship with the EA as it allowed me to look at the environmental protection laws in the UK and unpack the workings of a regulatory body to ensure better protection of lives and livelihoods.

Embracing the UK Work Culture and Overcoming Challenges

As an international student, while applying for this opportunity, I also expected to get a first-hand experience of the working culture here in the UK and strive towards getting over my imposter syndrome. The internship experience with the EA not only helped with these initial expectations but also helped me connect with wonderful people and grow professionally and personally. This was all possible due to my incredibly supportive supervisors, Emma and Victoria, who ensured I made the most of my time at the EA.

As an intern, I worked on several tasks, and no one day was similar to another. Some tasks I was involved in included getting an overview of pollution incident reporting and processing at the EA, using online mapping tools to identify possible site visits for pollution prevention and participating in cultural learning sessions. I particularly enjoyed accompanying the team members on different site visits for annual compliance checks of environmental permits. I visited seven sites, including landfills, recycling units, waste aggregators and garages. Because of these site visits, I met and spent time with different team members. It was informative and beneficial as I would ask them about their experiences working in the EA and questions about the visits.

Memorable Site Visits and Valuable Learning Experiences

The site visits were much more than just learning exercises; I also got to build memories, which I still cherish. On one occasion, while visiting a landfill, I got stuck in the mud, and my supervisor jokingly referred to me as ‘Rookie of the Year’, a title befitting by my (mis)adventure that day. During my internship, I also got a chance to share with the team about my work with communities on environmental justice issues and challenges in India. This entire tenure with the EA helped me immensely with professional communication. During my exit interview, my supervisor told me I was inquisitorial and asked important questions, reflecting interest in their work, and I was professional in my communications with the team members. It was overwhelming to get this feedback despite facing different personal challenges.

One of my biggest challenges during the internship was managing time alongside the intense master’s course. I overcame this by maintaining clear communication with my supervisors, and my supervisors provided me with enough space to communicate from my end when things were a little overwhelming. It is essential for anybody undertaking the placement to communicate with the supervisors about any academic commitments, as the supervisors are more than willing to consider reasonable adjustments. Additionally, the challenge of managing time itself provides an excellent opportunity to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.

Tips for Making the Most of Your Placement Experience

From my experience, I will give a couple of suggestions to anyone considering a similar placement. First, apply for the opportunity even if you are unsure if it can be managed with your studies and other commitments. Giving yourself that chance and the benefit of the doubt is important. Second, during the internship, remember to ask as many questions as possible and try to make the most of the time (with the experts in the field), as it will be over sooner than you think. Remember that there are no stupid questions, but there is a regret if you do not ask a question. So, ask and learn as much as you can.

Overall, the internship with the EA was like a piece of a big jigsaw puzzle for me. I had a great first-hand experience learning about the day-to-day functioning of a regulatory body, something that I have always wanted to learn more about. It has made me more determined to continue my work for environmental protection and seek community justice while being more aware of the limitations within which regulatory bodies function. If you are reading this blog, I hope you also consider applying for a similar placement, as it can be greatly rewarding.

Posted in General Placement BlogsWidening Participation Programme Blogs