April 16, 2020, by Jason Feehily

Life in Ningbo, China during the coronavirus pandemic

The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has changed our day-to-day lives all over the world. Yet, just as life began to change dramatically in the UK, restrictions were being eased on people’s movements and business operations in Ningbo, China. The easing of restrictions comes as the reported number of COVID-19 cases in Zhejiang remained at zero for 30 days since 22 February.

We asked our staff and students at University of Nottingham Ningbo China to share their experiences of life in Ningbo during the coronavirus pandemic.

On the frontline

PhD student, Dr Guoqing Qian, a respiratory clinician from Ningbo First Hospital and a recipient of the Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for Research Excellence, has been working on the frontline at the hospital in Ningbo since the outbreak started in Wuhan.

“I am pleased to let you know that our hospital has achieved 100% recovery rate for the COVID-19 patients with no medical staff suffering from any infection. Our team has now been dismissed as the situation is under good control,” said Guoqing.

“I have just completed self-isolation to be reunited with my family, after a month-long isolation from my loved ones. Born shortly before the outbreak, our second baby Ze Nuo (seed of Nottingham) is named after the University as ‘a seed of love sown on campus’. My wife, who is an ophthalmologist has just received an offer from the University to become a postgraduate of Public Health, making our family ‘double’ Nottingham alumni.

“I am undertaking COVID-19 related research and have published a number of articles with input from UNNC to share with others who are fighting the battle against COVID-19.

“I would like to thank Professor Hall for his inspirational guidance and nurture – our supervision meetings always leave me fully energised. I really look forward to returning to Nottingham and seeing my colleagues who have been so friendly and kind to me.”

Guoqing, his PhD supervisor Professor Ian Hall and other colleagues have been exchanging clinical knowledge of diagnosis and treatment for infected patients during the pandemic with the respiratory medical team at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust through regular remote conferences facilitated by the University’s Asia Business Centre