August 23, 2024, by Arts Placements

Empowering Through Literacy: My fulfilling Journey in Literacy Support Project Placement

By: Marwa Al Omairi

Where it all started:

Starting the Literacy Support Program offered by the University of Nottingham was a wonderful transition that introduced me to the world of careers, especially in teaching. I was first introduced to the Placement Program during the orientation session of the Faculty of Arts welcome event. A few weeks later, I received an email regarding the open placement positions. Although I was initially terrified of putting myself out there into the professional world, especially as an international student. I decided to take a leap of faith and applied into the Literacy Support Program since I was driven by a deep-seated desire to explore the education industry. Where I can share my love for the English language and receive valuable experience. A few weeks later, I received an email informing me that my placement would take place at Rosslyn Park Primary School as a Teaching assistant, guiding young brains as they progressed academically!

Preparation before embarking on the journey:

Before embarking on my journey as a TA, I wanted to know where the school was located as it was nearly a forty-minute drive—quite a distance! Therefore, it was a great opportunity to do so when I had a meeting with the Head of Junior Year. During our discussion, I shared my background within the realm of education which primarily involved mentoring undergraduates facing challenges with the English language. We also discussed my expectations and the schedule for my duties to ensure I was fully prepared. The overall warmth and kindness that I experienced of the faculty members left a lasting impression, further motivating me to join the team.

My experience:

I was assigned to an enthusiastic fifth-grade class and it was an extremely memorable and incredible experience. I had the opportunity to observe firsthand how teachers operate and manage their classroom. In addition, I was delighted to help students with their comprehension tasks as well. It was heartwarming to see how excited the students were when they saw me, especially when I had to pull individuals out of the class for a one-to-one focused study session they were determined to improve. It was beautiful witnessing the students’ development. Their boundless eagerness to learn was truly refreshing and inspiring to witness.

I have always had a deep love for writing and reading; therefore, being able to contribute to educating the future generation and seeing them do better with each interaction felt fulfilling. Having the opportunity to watch the light in their eyes when they understand a certain subject or provide the correct answer, while simultaneously knowing that I played a role in their academic development was a reward beyond measure—the long commute faded into insignificance. This placement confirmed that the field of education is an extremely rewarding career.

I truly advise anyone who is interested in discovering the world of education to partake in the placement of the Literacy Support Project. Not only does it deliver insightful knowledge and practical skills, but additionally, a profound feeling of fulfilment and purpose. The unparalleled experience of fostering the development of young thinkers can impact your own growth in your subjective and professional development in many unexpected ways.