Opera of Rennes, Republique

January 5, 2015, by Sunita Tailor

Living the Dream

This blog post was written by third year English and French student, Amelia Smith from the School of English.

Every day I wake up with a smile as I think to myself, I’m here, I’m in France, I’m on my year abroad.

As a student of French and English, I’m currently on my compulsory 3rd year abroad in Rennes, the capital of Brittany, and I am having the most fantastic time!

I work as a language assistant in a high school. I have little groups of 10 students at a time and I can pretty much do what I want with them, as long as they speak English- which by the way is kind of easy for me as their level of English is completely amazing!

Working only 12 hours a week, I have so much free time to spend exploring and laughing with the other assistants who come from all over the world. I’ve made some lovely French friends who’ve been excellent tour guides. Of course I’m trying to speak as much French as possible, so this is really helping!

It’s all very exciting at the moment as the Christmas lights have finally gone up in the centre, and despite my sadness in realising that Christmas isn’t allowed to be celebrated at all in French schools, (no nativity plays!) everything is starting to seem rather festive and we’ve got lots of Christmassy + Frenchy things planned!

I’m actually living my French dream and it’s 100x better than I could ever have imagined.

Keep reading my posts to find out what I get up to in the next few weeks.

Amelia at the Christmas market

Shopping away at the Christmas market in Republique, Rennes

Opera of Rennes, Republique

Opera of Rennes, Republique

Posted in Student WordsYear Abroad