October 6, 2014, by sustainablenottingham

Supporting local SMEs

Michele Pattison, Marketing & Communications Officer, explains how the Environmental Technology Centre is supporting local SMEs.

The Environmental Technology Centre (ETC) at The University of Nottingham is on a mission to help SMEs in the East Midlands to improve their environmental and financial performance through innovation, technology and knowledge transfer.

The Centre is funded by the European Regional Development Fund and is staffed by a team with a wealth of knowledge and experience in areas including energy, waste, building management and the environment. Being part of The University of Nottingham means the Centre is ideally placed to access some of the latest technologies and facilities within the University and to put them at the disposal of businesses they work with.

Since its inception in 1999, over 300 businesses have been helped to implement a wide range of improvements, including minimising or reusing waste, using monitoring to improve energy efficiency,  or by making improvements to the fabric of the building.

Sir Colin Campbell Building

ETC is based in the University of Nottingham Innovation Park, on Jubilee Campus

A recent project saw the ETC work with Castle Heights, a multi-story office building in Nottingham. Building Manager Gillian Minogue used the energy demand, heat loss and thermal imaging survey in a board level presentation and commented, “I am really delighted with your report.  It covers all the areas I hoped it would, and more; I am particularly intrigued with the thermal bridging.  It is a common sense report, accessible to those without the benefit of your technical knowledge and this is important to me as I need to be able to use it at Board level and with colleagues and contractors.  I am also really pleased that the report reflects a genuine interest and relevance to the business and marketing needs and elements of Castle Heights as a ‘brand’.  I want to particularly commend you with regards to this.”

Posted in technology