December 9, 2013, by sustainablenottingham

First impressions

Andy Nolan, who joined The University of Nottingham in December to take up the role of Director of Sustainability, shares his thoughts on his first few days.

6100web

First and foremost, it’s great to join such a great University and to lead the development of its ambitious sustainability programme. That was a huge attraction for me, given the commitment and success the University has. I have been really impressed in the first few days with the level of commitment, enthusiasm and energy that staff and students have for this agenda and I look forward to working with you in developing it further.

It’s great to be back in the higher education sector, where I have worked for the universities of Bradford, Leeds Metropolitan and Sheffield, before spending the last 8 years as the Director of Sustainable Development at Sheffield City Council. It’s great to see the progress universities generally, and Nottingham specifically, have made in those past 8 years.  It is clear the expectation of Universities is only increasing, so it’s vital that we stay ahead of the pack – we know it’s an important issue in attracting students here.

As Director of Sustainability I have overall responsibility for the University’s environmental strategy, energy management, grounds management, carbon, waste, travel plan as well as making and developing links with academic teaching and research. In the coming weeks and months I will be getting out and about around the University’s campuses and across the wider city to better understand what we’re already doing well and what we need to do more of.

I believe there is a great opportunity, through integrated and strategic planning, to deliver a more sustainable University, enhance the student experience and develop world class research. The University is clearly leading the way in particular academic fields and the exciting developments of the Energy Technologies Building and the forthcoming Sustainable Chemistry Building highlight that.  Equally, it’s important that all students and staff are able to develop their understanding of sustainable development whichever career path they follow and the University has the opportunity to support that.

Posted in carbonlandscaperesearchsustainabilityteaching and learning