July 7, 2018, by Lucy

3 Things You’re Probably Worried About but Will Actually be Okay

Although everybody has their own worries when it comes to going to university, after speaking to my friends and family who have graduated or are at university, I have come up with three areas in which worries may arise: friends, academia and money. Nonetheless, although these may be sources of panic, I am here to reassure you that things will be okay. Trust me. I’ve done two years of this university malarkey, I must be doing something right (I mean, at least I think I am).

Making Friends

I don’t know about you, but the last time I actually actively needed to make new friends was when I was I started sixth form. Even then I knew most of the people there and it was simply a case of building on acquaintances and meeting a handful of new people I had never seen before. Due to this, starting university terrified me in terms of its social requirements. Did I even know how to make friends? I was certain I had forgotten how to do it. However, my panic was reduced significantly approximately five minutes after my parents had dropped me off in my flat as I found myself sat in my neighbours’ kitchen with around 10 other girls from my block. As we all chatted about who we were, where we came from and what we were studying, it was clear that making friends is a pretty natural and easy process during Freshers’ Week. As the majority of people are determined to build friendships within the first week, the activities that you engage in will innately be relationship oriented. Just relax, put the kettle on, leave your door ajar and have an open mind, and it’ll be fine. People are friendlier than you think.

Academic Pressure

A lot of people talk about the jump from A Levels to undergraduate study and yes, whilst it does exist, first year is about settling into university life. Although the point of university is that you are challenged, the course isn’t set up to make you fail. I remember being given my first deadline a month into my first term and I felt overwhelmed about what I had to do: unlike sixth form, nobody was there to spoon feed me. However, after talking to my tutor about these feelings I realised that the staff only want the best for you. They want you to succeed and reach your potential. If you find yourself failing or getting results that are lower than wished, remember that first year doesn’t actually count. Any initial teething problems will be overcome when you get the hang of the requirements of coursework and exams. Take it from me, in my first year I was getting low 2:2s but coming out of my second year I have just been awarded for achieving the highest average mark on my course. Take everything with a pinch of salt and don’t take any failures to heart: people will always be there to tell you’re your strengths and ways to improve.

Budgeting

Ah, the taboo subject. Money, money, money. As a student, it is likely that you may find yourself with less money in your bank account than you would like, but then again, who doesn’t? In terms of staying afloat financially, I advise that you keep a weekly budget, only spending within your means. Think about what you need to spend money on (accommodation, food, washing) and then work from there: will you be needing a bus pass? Any recommended books? With what you’ve got left after all the essentials you can spend or save it as you please. However, if you do find that you are having some financial troubles, you can always go to the SU to chat about your concerns. They will point you in the right direction and give you in depth financial support. Like everything, you’ll find a way to sort everything out.

Posted in Lucy