June 18, 2017, by Siobhan

What I Have To Look Forward To As A Second Year

With my first year of university over, it’s safe to say it has flown by faster than I could have ever imagined. Moving into halls last September feels as though it was only a week ago, and the notes I made in my first lecture are still vivid in my mind. It’s quite scary, seeing how much has changed, how much I have changed, and simply just how quickly it seems to have passed by. As much as I have enjoyed being a fresher, there are so many more things to look forward to as a second year, and I can’t wait for September to come back around.

The first and by all means the most exciting thing about starting my second year is that I will be living in a house. Good bye halls! Although living in broadgate park was one of the best years of my life, I can’t wait to live in an actual house. A house, with a normal front door, stairs to my bedroom, and lights that you can switch on and off. It will just feel a lot more like Nottingham is my home. I will be able to sit down with my friends, watch TV and make dinner with them, and simply feel at home.

Another thing I’m looking forward to is the routine that living a bit further away from uni will provide. I’m whole heartedly a routine and planning kind of girl, and living so close to uni in halls can make routines go out of the window. I’d always find myself going into uni for a lecture, then going home in between and waste time walking to and from home. When home is a bit further away, there will be no opportunity to just run home, so a uni day will feel more like a full working day. Instead of waking up an hour before lectures and running around in between, a whole day can be spent on campus, which will be far more productive!

Finally, as a second year, I’m looking forward to feeling more settled. I really didn’t enjoy the first semester of uni; it was stressful, disorientating, and lonely. This time round, I’ll go back to Nottingham knowing my way around campus and the city, having groups of friends who I can rely on, and generally just feeling more happy and content than I did a year before. I can wait to go back and feel excited to see my friends, to go back to studying what I love, but in the absence of all the anxiety and nervousness that filled my body as a fresher.

For now, I want to enjoy my summer, make the most of the time off studying and go back fresh and prepared for a much harder year of work. I hope everyone has a lovely summer and is looking forward to joining or going back to uni this September!

Posted in Siobhan