May 16, 2017, by Andrew

Rainy with a chance of rain; non-revision indoor activities to relax and de-stress.

It’s raining. I’m looking out the window and it’s still raining. It was raining when I went to bed, it was raining when I woke up, and I can positively guarantee that it will be raining when I get on my bike to cycle home this evening. If your days currently consist predominantly of colour coding revision notes and writing essays, then bad weather can really add to what can already be a kinda bleak time. Here’s a few ideas of things to do on your study breaks or on evenings ‘off’ that don’t involve binge watching a boxset.

Phone up your parents, carers or grandparents and ask them for the recipe to your favourite meal/desert they used to cook for you – then attempt it yourself (be prepared for abject failure through – no one, least of all your baked-bean-eating-self, can make a pavlova quite like your nan can)..

Binge on a book. I love reading, but I rarely read more than a chapter in one go. If you’re stressed out with looming deadlines and contemplating quitting uni for the 47342398th time this week, however, fully enveloping yourself between the covers of a book for a couple of hours straight can really transport you somewhere else for a while.

Get out a board game. Nothing helps you to forget about exam stress better than spending 4 hours in a constantly tense, passive-aggressive rage at the blatant incompetence of the designated banker in a friendly housemates’ game of Monopoly. Umm, excuse me. Sorry Stacey, mate, but I’ve just passed go, so GIVE ME MY DAMN MONEY OR THE LITTLE METAL DOG GETS IT.

Tidy up. Not quite as thrilling, but tidying up your room/flat can restore a sense of control and order to your cluttered, hectic routine. I don’t want to sound too much like a spiritual hippie sort, but when your floordrobe is 50% dirty laundry and 50% energy drink cans, maybe it’s time to take a breather and sort it out a little.