February 14, 2017, by Shweta

The Introvert’s Guide to Surviving University

We all grow up with fantasies about the world that slowly disappear as we get older. A perfect university experience is one of those dreams. A year ago, peering into this chapter of my life from the safety of home, I had high hopes for what everyday life at uni would be like. Little did I know; everything was about to change.

At the University of Nottingham, we’re constantly surrounded by masses of people from every possible race, background and culture. To some, the idea of peering into this kaleidoscope of humanity seems like a thrilling opportunity. However, to introverts like myself, it’s a little more daunting than exciting. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy meeting new people as much as the next person. I’d just much rather watch from afar……very far.

After 6 months of navigating through the social tidal waves of “college life”, here’s some of my loner-wisdom.

• If the thought of large groups of buzzing students provokes a little anxiety, get to your lectures early. The stillness and silence of an empty lecture theatre is the calm before the storm. Plus, you’ll get to grab the good seats!

• Loner lairs will soon become a fond favourite. Lucky for us, UoN has several gardens where the almost overwhelming solitude of nature will be a pleasant and welcome break from your everyday routine. Don’t be afraid to explore the campus and find a few spots to escape to for some silence and peace.

• Know what you like but don’t be afraid to try new things. Recently, my best friend and I spontaneously went for a beginners boxing class. Amongst other things, we mostly learnt just how unfit we really are. Regardless, we had a fantastic time and plan to go again this week. Every now and then, force yourself to try something new. Yes, it’s terrifying but over time it will get easier.

There’s no one right way to live your years at university. The most important thing to remember is to live life the way you enjoy it rather than what you feel is expected of you.

Until next time,

Shweta

Posted in Shweta