November 26, 2015, by Danny Bav

♠️ “The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious” ♠️

Card

Cardistry – ‘the art of creating fascinating motions and formations with a deck of cards’

I have a vague recollection of my first encounter with magic. I was about eight or nine years old at the time and my dad and I were indulging in our regular pastime of the week – wandering around the local market. I honestly didn’t pay much attention to the stalls, but this day was different. A particular stall had cropped up and captured my interest and I insisted that we went to investigate. It turned out to be a magician performing illusions to a small crowd. As an inquisitive child, I had the desire to understand how things worked so I eagerly pushed to the front of the crowd to get a closer look.

The simple illusions he performed shifted my perceptions of reality as a child – things I thought were impossible were suddenly possible and it created a sense of wonder and delight. We ended up visiting him weekly and it turned out to be my favourite stall of the market. He ended up teaching me a few things before one day he suddenly left, never to return.

pic2

Card tricks are a universal language

Naturally, I was a little distraught at first and without my source of inspiration I naturally lost motivation to carry on learning magic. Until university that was, when I discovered the Magic Society and it rekindled my passion for magic. I’ve always been a sucker for obscure interests, so naturally I thought I’d delve back into it. I learnt magic more as a performing art, learning how to connect with strangers and how to induce emotions in people.

Being able to create confusion, wonder and delight all within a split second is such an amazing skill to possess and it was something that inspired me to get back into magic. Performing to different crowds and being a member of the committee has allowed me to be more expressive and connect with strangers in such a unique way.

So, if you’ve ever thought about taking up a quirky interest, or joining a new society you should make that first step; you’ll be surprised at what you may come across. 🙂

*Title quote from Albert Einstein

Below is a video of us at Freshers fair! 🙂

Posted in Danny