January 21, 2015, by Jennifer Scott

Living Out

Before starting university, I made the decision not to live in student accommodation – I moved out with my boyfriend instead. Admittedly, it’s a bit of an unconventional route, and people tend to add about 10 years onto my age when I tell them! Then, they say things like ‘your flat mates are your friends for life’ which terrified me before I started uni. What they don’t tell you is that it can also be bloomin’ lovely to escape studenthood. Now I’m half way through my degree, I thought I’d share the pros and cons of living out of student accommodation with you guys, whether it’s living with parents or partners!

Living Off Campus

Pros:

• Mum’s dinner is never too far away. Even though I don’t live with my parents, I still get the occasional ‘fancy lasagne tonight?’ text from my mum and beam as I realise that yes, I do fancy lasagne, and since she’s only down the road from me I can have it whenever I like!
  • Fresher’s week was certainly less stressful. If you’re even a little bit introverted, Fresher’s Week is a terrifying time. I survived it knowing that I’d be back home soon!
  • There are no fights about the heating! I can put it on as high as I like without the one flatmate who prefers to wear their coat rather than pay telling me off.
  • Christmas revision is easy peasy. I’m still the same distance from campus and I’ve seen my family loads throughout the term, so there’s no catch up necessary. Hello, good grades!
  • I have a bath! In first year in particular, this is a true gem amongst students.
  • Let’s not forget my cat – this cuddly princess wouldn’t be allowed in student accommodation.
Nothing worse than a snowy windscreen when you've got to get to uni!

Nothing worse than a snowy windscreen when you’ve got to get to uni!

Cons:

• No late night library sessions, since it’s such hassle to get there. I do feel like I’m missing out on the university experience a little bit as I haven’t experienced Hallward at night before…
  • No £1 bus trips around Nottingham – got to pay full price when your postcode starts with DE7!
  • Early on in university, when meeting new people, their first question tends to be ‘which halls do you live in?’ It’s a little bit awkward to explain and I found myself giving strangers my life story.
  • 9am lectures are definitely worse for me than you. So stop complaining or I’ll throw this giant cup of coffee at you. You know, the coffee I had to drink to give me energy as I battled the traffic on my commute in!
  • Similarly, getting in when it snows is a lot like The Hunger Games.
  • The first year sadness, as everyone else gorges on all the treats they’ve got with their meal cards and I’m stuck with a soggy sandwich.

So there you have it – the truth about living out. I’m glad I chose to, but I do still want to know what Hallward is like at night! I imagine quiet and a tad creepy. If any of you have had a similar experience or are considering it and have any questions, I’d love to hear in the comments!

Posted in Jennifer