November 13, 2014, by Gemma Coleman

Memoirs of a second year

And suddenly, without any real warning, we’re second years: responsible, fully functioning members of society (ahem) now submitting essays that actually count towards our degrees. Which can only mean one thing. It’s time to get nostalgic about the halcyon days of first year.

“What halls are you in?”- The ultimate Fresher’s icebreaker that leads to an awkward “oh cool, yeah, Cavendish”. End of conversation. Well, it wasn’t that simple for me. You see, I was- scratch that- am and always will be, an Albiono. I am part of the Albion House cohort. Dream team if you will. I can see your blank expression; I’ve heard it all before. “What’s Albion House?” Insert sigh and a playful roll of the eyes- let me take you on a journey…

At Albion, you are guaranteed magical views

Albion House is the second cousin twice removed of Broadgate Park (BGP). The one that gets an invite to the wedding but you’re put on the table next to the toilets. Or, more accurately, the building behind Sainsbury’s in the “dodgy end” of Beeston that you thought was a Travelodge. Although it’s the forgotten accommodation block, life at Albion was great because ‘sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name’.

Albion House (looks nothing like this)

Albion House (looks nothing like this)

Not only did we get all the benefits of Broadgate Park (Summer Fest, New Year’s Chinese buffet, subsidised Christmas ball…), we also got a few of our own cheeky extras. Free car park anyone? Big enough kitchens to play Twister in? A free outdoor gym? (Well, you know, the 30-minute trek into uni is basically a gym pass). Albion House had it all. And above all, we had Sir Clive Granger. No, no, not the Nobel Prize winning alumnus. Sir Clive Granger the cat, beloved stray regularly smuggled into Flat 20’s kitchen.

1 of 500 photos of Clive

1 of 500 photos of Clive

So now, walking back to Lenton, I smile at the thought of the new Albionos loving life in Beeston (B town to us seasoned residents). All I can say is live it up. And remember to feed the cat.

Posted in Gemma