May 10, 2013, by Gemma

Celebrations Before Exams Start

This week I turned 21. To be honest, I don’t really understand why 21 is such a big deal in the UK. In the USA, you can legally drink, but here, it’s just another number. Nevertheless, I got caught up in the whole “Wooo, I’m 21!” business by celebrating with a casual dinner with mates, and I plan to do something crazy and over the top in the Summer after exams – Super Sweet Sixteen-style.

So “how does it feel to be 21?” I hear you asking… I don’t feel particularly older. In fact, I think I feel slightly more immature.

I totally loved my caterpillar birthday cake (which tasted especially good the morning after for breakfast), and my ‘21 Today’ badge:

Wiggles the Caterpillar

Wiggles the Caterpillar

Cards

Cards

It was the perfect day with friends, full of opening presents and cards, yummy food, and cava.

Student volunteer awards

SVC Awards

SVC Awards

The annual SVC awards were held in the Den, which was nicely decorated with gold and black balloons, and fairy lights. It was really exciting receiving my volunteering certificate for supporting the Age UK knitting campaign.

Also, there was some really delicious gourmet cupcakes.

Gourmet cake at the SVC Awards

Gourmet cake at the SVC Awards

But celebrations are now over, so I’ve had to return back to the grind that is revision.

Back next Friday!

Posted in 2012 Gemma