June 20, 2012, by Harry Waddle

Kike recognised as one of the UK’s Top Ten Black Students

Economics student, Great Britain javelin thrower and fashion line director Kike Oniwinde has been named as one of the UK’s Top Ten Black Students in the Rare Rising Stars 2012 competition.

After qualifying for the European Under 20 Championships in 2011, the straight A’s student is now ranked among Great Britain’s top five javelin throwers.

After receiving her honour Kike said: “This achievement means a lot to me. It is great to see that hard work gets recognised without having to look for recognition. Sometimes I can be hard on myself and not appreciate the depth of my achievements, but awards such as Rare Rising Stars really let me know that I am on the right track and that I should be proud of what I have achieved.”

Not content to excel in one field, Kike is now set to launch her own fashion line ‘Kiwi & Yam’ this summer, after working with staff at the Enterprise Lab on Jubilee Campus.

She continued: “Kiwi&Yam is an up and coming fashion clothing line that draws inspiration from new age Britain and multiculturalism. We aim to embrace youth culture and British heritage, while making sure Kiwi&Yam is a lifestyle brand that also incorporates music and art.”

Her educational background certainly suggests that Kike will be equipped to make a success in business, having participated in Deutsche Bank’s I Have A Dream programme and completed a spring programme with Goldman Sachs.

Chris Milner, Head of the School of Economics, said: “Our undergraduates, including Kike, typically enter with at least AAA at A level, which means that they are very strong academically. Our courses are well-respected by top employers for producing graduates with excellent transferable skills.

“To be able to balance the rigours of a course at Nottingham School of Economics with competing at this high level in athletics and also displaying entrepreneurial skills by setting up a business is to be greatly admired. We look forward to following Kike’s progress.”

And it appears that Chris will have a lot to follow, after Kike announced that she also has her sights set on competing at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

You can find out more about Kiwi& Yam on Twitter, or the Rare Rising Stars 2012 competition at: www.rarerecruitment.co.uk/rrs2012