January 16, 2012, by Adlan Wafi Ramli

Microbiology was exhaustive and it still is

Hello everyone!

I was so preoccupied with my dissertation that I didn’t have time to make a new post in this blog.

Just so you know, my dissertation is near to completion. It’s not done yet but I’m getting there. The deadline is after all this Thursday. Can’t wait for it to be over!

I have to say that doing Medicine at The University of Nottingham is a wonderful experience as all 254 of us were given the opportunity to undertake a research for a whole semester in our 3rd Year. I was definitely excited in the beginning but the homebase (category) that I was assigned to is not really my top choices. I mean Microbiology could be deemed as interesting for other people but it’s definitely not my cup of tea.

So, I guess that’s the reason why I didn’t really enjoy much of the time in the lab as I don’t really have an interest in the subject. The good thing is, labwork is now all over. The bad thing is, I still have to write about it before this Thursday.

The only reason why I put in Microbiology as one of my choices is because I know that there is a possibility of my work to be published and the length of my dissertation is not that much as compared to other homebases. I only have to write up to 25 pages (about 5000-7000 words).

What I have definitely learned from this experience is that, I should have gone with the homebases of my interest instead of going for something just for the possibility of becoming successful by publishing a paper at a young age. I mean, I know that I would enjoy Anatomy or even Cardiovascular more than Microbiology. What’s done is done. After all, it’s going to end soon. So, I better give my all to make sure that my work would be decently rewarded.

Before I go, here are some of the pictures from the Microbiology lab:

Working with toxic substances on a daily basis

Electrophoresis - one of the methods to identify DNA

The shield to protect my eyes from the UV rays

The UV ray cabinet

My favourite colour for staining the protein gels

The Sonicator - the machine to destroy cells through the power of sound

My bench space

Where I hang my labcoat

The coolest machine so far. It visualises my gels

That’s all for now! Just 3 more days before I submit my dissertation!

Take care,

Wafi 😉

Posted in 2011-Wafi