November 21, 2018, by brzcjg1
Ankle Sprain Explained by University of Nottingham Sport Sports Injury Clinic
What is an ankle sprain?
An ankle sprain is when ligaments become overstretched or damaged leading to pain, swelling and instability.
What is the cause?
Sudden inward and downward movement of the foot. Usually when changing direction quickly whilst playing sport e.g. football, basketball and tennis.
What are the symptoms?
Short term treatment?
- P – Protect your ankle from further injury
- R – rest your ankle for at least 48 hours
- I – Ice for 15-20 mins every 2-3 hours in the first 48-72 hours.
- C – compress the area with an elastic bandage which should be snug but not tight
- E – Elevate the area until the swelling is controlled
Ankle sprains are often overlooked and if not rehabbed sufficiently can lead to long term problem.