June 24, 2015, by Lee Chrimes

Yolanda King

In our run up to Summer Open Day’s 2015 University of Nottingham (UoN) Sport athletes have compiled a number of blog posts from students who have been a part of UoN Sport.

Below is a post from Sports Scholar and incoming Table Tennis President Yolanda King who will be returning from Geneva after taking part in the European University Championships, just in time for the Summer Open Day’s on Friday 26th and Saturday 27th June 2015.

Yolanda King, 2nd yr Geographer – Table Tennis 

Throughout my two years at University, sport has played a fundamental role in moulding my University life and my character. I have grown into a more confident person building new friendships and forming a strong and reliable support system; my teammates.

Throwing myself into University life as a fresher, it was table tennis that helped me land steadily on my feet. Although there was a new set of faces, the familiar environment of the sports hall made me feel at home as I quickly settled into the club with its easy going and friendly atmosphere. I was given the opportunity to represent the University’s competing for the first team in the BUCS leagues and competitions. The stability of the club helped me gain confidence in other areas of my life at University and has encouraged me to become involved in the clubs committee. Over the past year I have been treasurer of the table tennis club where I have overseen the clubs expenditure for equipment and travelling expenses. The role has given me great experience in handling finance. I have now taken on more responsibilities within the club as I am the incoming Club President for 2015-2016. I am really looking forward to my year in presidency as I hope to continue our level of success as well as integrate our social players into the club.

Campaigning in the student election for the Sports Officer role really made me understand the multiple benefits and importance of sport at our university whether it be to socialise and make friends, or just to get away from the books for an hour and blow off some steam: sport should be available to all our students and the sports department are doing a great job to in doing just that.

16022641484_bba42b6726_nThe quality of sport at our University has enabled me to train and perform at a high level, by providing practice partners, facilities and attracting other athletes. University sport has also given me the opportunity to travel and compete, experiencing different cultures and meeting new people. For example, last Summer I traveled to Ningbo campus, China for the annual Tri Campus Games. It was an incredible experience where I made friends from different sports and countries.

I was asked to reflect on my two years experience of University sport just before I was set to leave to compete in the European University Championships in Geneva. Sitting in the sports hall after finishing 5th in Europe in the Women’s team event, has just added yet another amazing experience offered to me through University sport. Along with friendships and unforgettable memories, sport at University offers opportunities that you wouldn’t get any where else!

Posted in BUCSElite sportGuest BloggerNewsStudents