October 22, 2014, by Mike Munro

New national league comes to Nottingham

Club Development Coordinator, Alice Kempski, introduces the new National Badminton League.

The National Badminton League is the first ever professional national badminton league in the UK, and the University of Nottingham is one of the six franchise teams from across the country that will be battling it out for the title of NBL champions 2014/15.

With a new game format, unique scoring system and dynamic in-game features that makes sure every minute of every match matters, monthly Monday match-nights will be shown live on Sky Sports and streamed online to worldwide fans.

The University of Nottingham Badminton has put the finishing touches to its squad, naming Commonwealth Games gold medallist, world no. 5 and Nottingham born Chris Adcock as their captain.

Chris Adcock (2)

“It was a feeling of such honour to be asked to be to captain of The University of Nottingham NBL team.” said Chris. “To be the captain of the my home team will no doubt be a proud moment for myself and one I’ll certainly look forward to and remember for a long time to come. Hopefully I can lead the team well and by example, we have a great team here at The University of Nottingham, full of great experience & youth and I have the belief that we can go all the way”.

The squad, consisting of 13 players, will compete against MK Badminton in Men’s and Ladies singles and doubles and a mixed doubles in their first match on Monday 3 November 2014 at the Albert Hall Conference Centre in Nottingham.

The University of Nottingham also has representation in our very first professional team. Ellen Mahenthiralingham joined the university this year as an undergraduate studying English and German. Her badminton resumé includes two UK School Games tournaments, in 2011 when she helped Wales win the team event, and in 2012 along as Girls Doubles Winner.

Ellen Mahen (2)

Ellen said “It is a huge privilege to be part of the NBL and I am so excited about playing with top professionals and the new fast pace scoring system.”

“As a University of Nottingham first year undergraduate, I am extremely proud to represent them in the NBL.  I can’t wait for our first match in November!”

Get your tickets online for our first home game on Monday 3 November.

Posted in Elite sportGuest Blogger