August 4, 2016, by Liz Cass
Rio 2016: The moment they’ve been training for is finally here!
Friday 5 August marks the opening of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio. Throughout this prestigious event we will be following the progress of several of our students and alumni on their journey as part of the Olympic and Paralympic teams – the moment they’ve been training for is finally here and their dreams of sporting glory on the world stage are within touching distance.
This Olympics blog will be a source of news from athletes and academic experts during the course of the games. The University’s Department of Sport also has its own website complete with profiles on Nottingham athletes as they go for gold.
We can’t wait to share the stories of our alumni and current students who successfully continued their studies at the University whilst training at our sports facilities for the Olympics. Here is a list of our students and alumni taking part and dates that they’ll be competing:
- Chris Adock for Team GB: 11th August Mixed doubles
- Adam Cwalina for Poland: 11th August Men’s doubles
- Johny Akinyemi for Nigeria: 7th August
- David Florence for Team GB: 7th August Men’s canoe single, 8th August canoe double
- Chris Bartley for Team GB: 6th August Men’s coxless lightweight four
- Melanie Wilson for Team GB: 6th August 8th August women’s coxed eight
- Nick Catlin, Harry Martin, George Pinner for Team GB: 7th August 9pm GB v New Zealand, 11th August 00.30 GB v Australia, 12th August 9pm GB v Spain
- Chris Wyles for USA: 9th August USA V Argentina 5pm, USA V Brazil 11pm, 10th August USA v Fiji 5.30pm
Follow UoN Sport on Twitter for more highlights and to help us wish our Olympians good luck!