June 8, 2015, by Kirsty McKeown
Get ready to move into the community!
It may seem a million miles away but we thought we would help you get ahead by devising a few quick tips that you can follow this summer to help you get ready for the new term. This advice is aimed at any students moving out of halls into rented accommodation or from one house to another:
- Find out your new landlord contact details and keep them handy, have a read through your tenancy agreement so you know what your responsibilities are.
- Love Your Stuff! Register your valuables on www.immobilise.com, the national property register and arrange insurance for your possessions.
- If you drive, consider whether you will really need your car. It could be cheaper and healthier to leave it at home, and will keep your neighbours happy if you live in a street without extensive parking! If you choose to cycle get a D-lock to keep it safe and remember not to cycle on pavements.
- Check your bin day and sign up for text reminders through Nottingham City Council http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/loveyourbin or www.broxtowe.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1335 if you are going to live in Beeston.
- Put 1st October in your diary! We would like to invite all students to our Moving In Moving On event at Portland Atrium running between 12pm and 3pm. We have loads of partners coming along to give advice/answer questions on everything you need to know about living in the community.
- Keep an eye on our off-campus blogs http://blogs.nottingham.ac.uk/offcampus and follow @UoN_Off_Campus on Twitter for up to date community information and advice. More information can also be found on nottingham.ac.uk/yourcommunity
- All students moving into their second year will receive a welcome letter and moving in checklist which we will send out to your home address during the summer including further guidance about your return to the University.
One final message from us is to think about the best way to get rid of any unwanted belongings at the end of this, and every term. If you find out where your nearest clothing and food banks are, or whether your hall is doing a charity collection others can benefit from things that you no longer need!
Have a brilliant summer!
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/13879801@N00/517400993″>No Thanks, I’m Full</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/”>(license)</a>