February 27, 2015, by offcampus

International Family Link: Festive Traditions

Today we’re delighted to feature a guest post from International Family Link participants, host Karen Eveson and student Manyi.

International Family Link Host, Karen Eveson met with her international students Manyi and Yared over the Christmas vacation.  They all visited a local garden centre and enjoyed looking at the many different Christmas decorations and festive gifts.

Fudge

Fudge

This lead onto discussions about some of the traditions of Christmas such as, what we eat and why we do things, what fudge is, and why the gingerbread man is symbolic of Christmas.

Festive gingerbread

Festive gingerbread

Manyi commented, ‘The visit during Christmas is very nice! Karen took me and Yared to the garden centre. I did not know there is a big market like it, it could not be better.  Either traditional goods I did not see before or some special gifts can be found here. Plus, for girls we all like the gadgets.  Karen bought coffee and biscuits for us. The coffee had marshmallows on the top, which recalled my memory into childhood, very sweet! Also, we talked about meanings and pronunciations of words from our three countries, words can be so interesting!’

Posted in Guest blog