MPT tutor with students in the University of Nottingham School of Medicine

July 16, 2018, by Paul H

Studying Medical Physiology and Therapeutics (MPT)

Lara from the School of Medicine tells us why she chose to study MPT and what the course is like in this first post on the MPT Life blog.

Hi, my name is Lara and I have just finished my second year at the University of Nottingham studying Medical Physiology and Therapeutics (MPT) and I hope to go on to study postgraduate medicine at the end of my degree.

I stumbled across MPT when I was searching for a course on the UCAS ‘search for courses’ page. I was adamant I wanted to study something that was related to medicine and health sciences but NOT biomedical sciences! To me the thought of having to spend a large amount of hours in the lab was not appealing, hence MPT caught my eye.

I didn’t choose MPT as a back up to Medicine. Although my plan was (and still is) to study Medicine I decided that I needed time to mature as a student before entering a very stressful degree and determine whether it was the appropriate career for me.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my degree so far and have found it extremely interesting. In my opinion MPT is very similar to studying medicine, it is basically medicine without the patient contact! We cover modules such as pharmacology, neuroscience, cardiovascular and respiratory systems, cancer and much more. We even share some of our lectures in second year with the postgraduate medics.

Funnily enough one of my friends that is studying undergraduate medicine in London came to visit me as I was revising for my exams and as she was helping me she said ‘this is basically everything we have just covered, you will fly through the first two years of postgraduate medicine!’.

Medicine is by no means the only thing you can do at the end of this degree, students go on to do a wide range of things. Amongst the students in my cohort there are career aspirations to work in public health, policing, midwifery, physicians associate and even accountancy and law.

The world is your oyster!