May 4, 2017, by studentcontributor

Running the London Marathon (Part 2)

It has now been a week since completing the 2017 Virgin London Marathon for Team Heads Together. My legs are feeling normal again and my toes still attached. Running a marathon is really tough! The method in my madness was to break it down into four sections – pretty much running four 10km runs. Marathon training is definitely about the preparation for the last 10km. There’s a voice in your head telling you to pull into the nearest pub for a well- deserved beer, however, your heart tells you to keep going. The Heads Together supporters were simply hero’s– at times when I was struggling to take the next step I would pass them and their cheers would help me to carry on. The overwhelming sense of pride as you turn onto The Mall made the leg cramps, sore toes and blistering feet worthwhile. I am thrilled with the sponsorship appeal – this morning reaching just short of £2000.  I can’t believe the support. Thank you!

Post marathon blues

Post marathon blues are a real thing and discussion with team members soon found the team at a loose end. You get back your evenings and weekends to enjoy as you please, no longer taken over by your long runs. Many of the team have already signed up for their next event. I found myself sitting with my medal on and applying for the Great North Run in September. In the meantime, a good rest is in order.

Exams

As many of you will face exams over the coming weeks just a note to look after yourselves. Remember, it’s just as important to take regular breaks and have some time away from the books and the library. My advice following finals is to make a plan – schedule some down time and tackle those areas you feel least comfortable with early on. If you feel as though things are getting on top of you, it’s ok to get some help. Speak with your friends, colleagues, family members and personal tutors. The University welfare teams are all here to support you through this challenging time.

Thank you

For now, thanks again for your kind donations and words of encouragement. You’ll be glad to hear applications are open for the 2019 Virgin London Marathon ballot. If you can, give it a go, you might just surprise yourself. From Team Heads Together, thank you all.

If you would still like to make a donation you’re not too late and this can done at the following link: www.virginmoneygiving.com/dantownley

–Dan Townley, final-year Graduate Entry Medicine

Previous post: 

Placement in psychiatry and running the London Marathon

Posted in Medicine