August 8, 2019, by Kathryn Summerwill
Look at our new Digital Gallery!
Around 1,500 digitised images from our collections are now available on the Manuscripts and Special Collections Digital Gallery. We have arranged the photographs, cartoons, portraits, maps, manuscripts, and pages from books into collections based on themes. These themes can be browsed from the front page of the Digital Gallery. Click the thumbnail to get to a description of the image and a link to a full-screen version.
The Digital Gallery is part of the library’s catalogue, NUsearch. You can search across the whole of the catalogue to see the other print and electronic resources which we hold alongside the digital images. You do not need to be a member of the University to use the Digital Gallery – it is open to everyone!
- photographs of the University of Nottingham and its predecessor, University College Nottingham
- British posters from the Second World War, including the iconic ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’, and ‘Dig For Victory!’ posters, and some which are less familiar
- maps of Nottinghamshire dating back to the 16th century
- incredible images of the aftermath of the Crimean War in the 1850s, and photographs of tours to Turkey, Greece and Hong Kong in the 1850s and 1860s in the Early Travel Photographs collection
- 19th century political cartoons satirising the politicians of the time
- photographs of D.H. Lawrence and his friends and family
More detailed instructions on how to use the resource are available through NUsearch. We also have our own webpage giving further information about the Digital Gallery. The Digital Gallery replaces our old Historic Collections Online resource.
You are welcome to download the images for your own personal use, and share links to the Digital Gallery on social media, but please contact us if you wish to publish the images.
All the images are available to view by anybody in our Reading Room at Manuscripts and Special Collections, King’s Meadow Campus. Please visit www.nottingham.ac.uk/mss or email email@example.com for more information.