August 24, 2011, by Andrew Burden

JoGLE, D-Day minus 2: the Vice-Chancellor’s Blog

48 hours until the Life Cycle team sets off on leg one from John O’Groats.

Planning is more or less complete, although last minute bits and pieces that might make the journey just a little easier are still being bought. My last training run was on Sunday. That’s it until I get back in the saddle on Friday.

This morning I loaded my two bikes into our support van: a ‘Scott Speedster’ for road riding and a ‘Cannondale Quick’ for when we are on tracks. (The ‘Speedster’ and ‘Quick’ labels obviously worked on me).

I think we are pretty well prepared. I was one of seven who cycled ‘Coast to Coast’ (from Workington to Tynemouth) in June and part of a smaller group which rode the two legs in to Nottingham (from Ripon). There have been regular Sunday rides mainly with Karen, Kate, Chris J and Steve, one of which was 94 miles, equivalent to our longest day between John O’Groats and Lands End. These have also helped build confidence and endurance, whilst at the same time teaching us a lot about riding together and looking out for each other.

We have benefitted a lot from the time which various colleagues in the University have generously given to provide specialist advice: on nutrition, health, safety and medical care.

The one last thing to worry about between now and Friday is the weather and the current 5 day forecast is not good: showers on Friday and heavy rain on Saturday and Sunday, with winds of 26 mph. The only good news is that they are not headwinds!

Let’s hope this weather system moves through quickly and that forecast is revised. If not, we are facing a tricky start.

David Greenaway

August 24th 2011

To follow the riders and sponsor them, visit the Life Cycle website

You can also donate by visiting my Just Giving site

Posted in Lifecycle UpdateUncategorized