My time, my space, my library logo for this years Libraries week.

October 10, 2018, by uazsb3

Libraries Week. My Time. My Space. My Library part 2 – Leisure Reading

Libraries Week this year (8-13 October) focuses on wellbeing, an acknowledgement of the difference that libraries can make to peoples’ lives; from fostering a sense of community to providing a space for study or escapism.

This is our second blog to celebrate Libraries Week, to read our first please click here. 

Bibliotherapy is a growing part of the armoury to support mental wellbeing. “The basic premise of bibliotherapy is that information, guidance, wellbeing and solace can be found through reading” (McNicol and Brewster 2018.) So make Libraries week the week that you indulge in a bit of bibliotherapy…

Time and space can be an element in our reading, sometimes we have time and headspace for a challenging, satisfying read and sometimes we only have a few moments. We have something in our collections to cater to either end of that spectrum and everywhere in between. Here are some suggestions based on the space needed for the read:

Challenging and satisfying

Lincoln in the Bardo” by George Saunders – written in an unusual style this book takes some reading – not everyone will be up to the challenge.

Lighter but still absorbing:

Try a biography like “I am, I am, I am”. By Maggie O’Farrell Biographical account of this author’s brushes with death. Or “The boy with the Top Knot”  Sathnam  Sanghera’s account of growing up in Wolverhampton, soon to be released as a film starring Sacha Dwawan.

Less time less space
Try a  novella – such as “The Breakthrough” by Daphne Du Maurier, or “My name is Lucy Barton” by Elizabeth Strout.

Even Less time, even less space
Try a short story perhaps “The Custard Heart” by Dorothy Parker or “The distance of the Moon” by Italo Calvino.
Just a moment or two
Poetry is the perfect answer. Try the “Poetry Pharmacy” for a daily dose of inspiration.
Whatever your time and space there is something out there for you to read.

You can find all of these books on NUsearch the Library Discovery Tool, or why not visit a Nottinghamshire public library?

To find out more about our University of Nottingham Leisure Reading collection please read our previous blog on the topic, or watch our video. Don’t forget to share your top tips for keeping well with us on Twitter @UoNLibraries before 15 October and we’ll pick the best ones to win a prize.

Reference: Brewster, L. & McNicol, S., 2018. Bibliotherapy / Edited by Sarah McNicol and Liz Brewster., London.

Posted in CollectionsNew Stuff