February 20, 2018, by Katherine Beers
UoN Libraries support World Book Day and University Mental Health Day – 1 March 2018
World Book Day falls on Thursday 1 March 2018, which also coincides with University Mental Health Day. UoN Libraries have decided to do things a little differently this year, to mark the occasion of both of these events. We are pleased to present our Reading Well event, a collaboration between libraries and University academic colleagues Dr Charley Baker and Lindsey Cooper. The event is free to attend but ticketed, so if you are around 1 March 4.00-6.00pm why not come along and join us in the Medical Health Sciences department, room C1071 Queen’s Medical Centre.
There will be a range of presentations, covering topics like the importance of narrative, fiction and autobiography in approaches to health, well being and humanistic counselling.
- Carol Hollier, one of our Teaching and Learning librarians will introduce the new Leisure Reading Collection
- Dr Charley Baker, Lecturer in Mental Health will discuss the importance of narrative approaches to health, alongside sharing some of the autobiographical and fictional texts she revisits time and again that explore illness, health and wellbeing
- Lindsay Cooper, Course Leader for the BA (hons) Humanistic Counselling Practice.
Re-authoring the future? will discuss the use of autobiographical and fictional texts in a counsellor education programme that are used to both promote knowledge and skill development and for self care
- Closing address by Carol Hollier offering advice on next steps, how you can share your experiences and find out more about Bibliotherapy.
We’ll be providing cakes and cuppas, so come along and get involved, it’s a great chance to network and meet some like minded people.
Other activities that our libraries will be offering on 1 March are:
- NUsearch Super Searcher sessions – library staff will be on hand to answer any questions relating to NUsearch. Bring along your search conundrums and we’ll do our best to help you solve them.
- Spot a themed book trolley – we are having a little rest from dressing up this year and instead will be putting our creative energies into decorating some of our library book trolleys.
- Money off with our partner Better World Books – enter the code SHOPBWB and get 10% off
- Switch off and get creative – spend some time with us relaxing, making your own origami bookmark. Look out for our drop in sessions throughout the day at Business, DLRC, Hallward and George Green libraries. No need to have any prior origami experience, our skilled staff will talk you through what to do, then we’ll let you loose with the crayons, coloured paper but NO GLITTER!!!
Join us on Twitter, sharing your favourite stories, books and characters #WorldBookDay. Take time for yourself, kick back and get reading!
To find out about more HealthyU events on 1 March including community book swaps, free fitness classes and therapy dogs a full listing is available here.