speech bubble

July 25, 2017, by Lucy Bray

Five minutes with… Darren Flynn

Name

Darren Flynn

Job Title

Librarian (Teaching and Learning Support)

So, what does this actually mean?

We are based in the teaching and learning support team and we deliver information skills teaching to Undergraduate and Taught Postgraduate students.

What do you enjoy most about your role?

The teaching aspect and interacting with different students. Being able to see students mastering new skills and demonstrating them to show they’ve learned something- I get a lot of satisfaction from that! I’d also say that I’m a complete geek when it comes to looking at data so I enjoy getting our evaluations back, analysing them and presenting it back to LRLR.

How did you get into Librarianship?

I did my undergraduate degree in American and English Literature and started thinking about working in libraries, but had no idea how to start. After uni I worked for a year as a Retail Trainer for Sainsbury’s, travelling around stores and training staff. I applied for a Graduate Traineeship at Manchester Metropolitan University Library which I got, and after a year I got a permanent job there. Whilst working at MMU I got a scholarship from AHRC to do a Master’s in Librarianship, after which I got my first professional post as Information Literacy Lead in a Sixth Form Academy in West Yorkshire.

Interesting! So what have been the highlights of your career so far?

In my first year working at the Learning Commons we won the School Library Association Inspiration Award, which was really cool. This year I was shortlisted for the LILAC Information Literacy Award which I was really proud of as it represented a lot of the work that me and my old team did in over three or four years. Although my name was on it, it was the result of a lot of hard work from the team and was a great endorsement of the school leadership team.

Wow, so many awards!! What does a Teaching Librarian such as yourself do outside of work- any interesting hobbies?

I garden a lot and I started up tap and ballet recently at a studio in Hockley which I really enjoy. I also love camping and hiking and last weekend I went to North Wales camping with a group of 12 friends, it was amazing!

What’s next for Darren Flynn?

My current post here ends in July and it’s early days but I’ve got some exciting prospects on the horizon- I’ll keep you posted!

Please do! Finally, if you could have a superpower, what would it be and why?

I would be able to go without sleep so I could get so much more done and fit so much more into a day. I hope that doesn’t sound boring?

Not at all- imagine all the books you could read or TV series you could watch! Thanks Darren and good luck!!

Posted in New Stuff