February 12, 2016, by Michael Jennings

From ‘homophobic’ to treasured items – highlights from our lesbian pulp fiction discussion

Claire Henson, People and Culture Events Co-ordinator at the University, writes about our event with Dr Kaye Mitchell on Wednesday 10 February exploring the phenomena of lesbian pulp fiction.

I first discovered lesbian pulp fiction when I was working in a university library. I remember seeing the cover of Odd Girl Out by Ann Bannon, and never dreamt that one day, this book would become important enough for me to go on and study it as part of my Masters Research degree.

Therefore, to have Dr Kaye Mitchell speak on the subject as part of LGBT History Month at The University of Nottingham was an honour. Kaye talked about the beginning of lesbian pulps, and their historical importance. Why did ‘trashy’ novels about a taboo topic sell in their millions during the restrictive era on 1950s America? Who were these stories really for and what was their message? How have they made the journey from being deemed as ‘homophobic’ to being treasured collected items now? Dr Mitchell talked about all these issues and more to an enthusiastic audience which made this event one of the highlights of the programme.

You can revisit the discussion by viewing our Storify of the event here or scrolling through the slides below.

There are plenty more LGBT History Month events coming up – make sure to visit our events gallery to find out more.

Posted in events