March 23, 2018, by Aleisha Turner
UoN BOX Service to Close
The UoN Box cloud storage service will be withdrawn at the end of March.
Data storage and sharing via BOX will be replaced with OneDrive for Business from the 1 April 2018.
The University is working with the research community in developing new research data management (RDM) services as part of the Digital Research Environment Strategy, which underpins the University’s Research Strategy. Office 365 is one of the core services the University will use for its communication, collaboration and storage activities. OneDrive was not available when the BOX Service was introduced but it is now available to all UoN staff, students and researchers. OneDrive offers the storage capacity and collaboration functionality to support the needs of research and is one of the strategic technologies being delivered by the Research Data Management project.
OneDrive offers additional benefits and functionality over BOX
- OneDrive is faster, typically twice as fast, for both upload and download
- OneDrive supports sync on multiple devices
- OneDrive data is all held in Microsoft datacentres in the EU not the US
- OneDrive data is available directly to the whole O365 application suite, desktop and mobile
- OneDrive is a single, secure cloud storage location for your data
Data belonging users of the BOX storage facility is currently being migrated into individual One Drive accounts. Updates regarding the withdrawl of BOX can be found on the BOX Workspace service page. If you are a current BOX user and have not been contacted directly by Information Services regarding your account please get in touch with David Valentine-Hagart or Emma Ahern.