October 10, 2017, by Sharon Caine
New Cyber Security video
Staying safe online – new material for students
In order to increase awareness regarding cyber safety, Information Services have produced a number of new promotional materials for students to promote ‘staying safe online’.
Firstly, we’ve produced a new video, featured on our IT Services YouTube playlist – which captures the key messages for students about ‘staying safe online’.
Starting in September, we produced a ‘Keep IT Safe’ postcard that was distributed to new students at registration events highlighting key messages:
- Protect your computer – install anti-virus software and regular security updates to keep your data safe
- Keep your devices safe – lock devices when not in use, set strong passwords
- Avoid being caught by phishing scams – never reply to emails asking for your password, PIN or account details
- Protect your online privacy – always log out of public machines, configure settings on your personal devices, avoid sharing too much information on social media
Don’t forget that students can download Sophos anti-virus for free or if you need assistance, visit one of our Smart Bars for a device health check, if you need a virus removing or to ensure you stay protected in the future.
Can we please remind all students to be mindful and aware regarding cyber safety.
- Use strong passwords – Never share and change them regularly
- Beware of phishing emails – The University will never ask for your details. Report all phishing attempts to the IT Service Desk
- Be aware of your online privacy
- Install anti-virus and keep your software updated
- Secure your mobile and laptop – never leave them unattended, don’t keep sensitive data on laptop hard drives and unsecured memory sticks, always password protect your devices
If you want to find out more – visit the Information Security pages on our IT Services website.