April 1, 2020, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Jonathan from Vietnam

Jonathan is a Vietnamese student who is studying MSc Banking and Finance

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

After completing my undergraduate, I wanted an institution that would challenge me academically and provide me with rich opportunities to pursue my own career path. The idea of taking the MSc Banking and Finance course at University of Nottingham appeals to me tremendously since excellent education system at University of Nottingham is what I need to make significant contributions to the economic growth worldwide. The quality of the research department in University of Nottingham acted as a motivation for me since I always wanted to broaden my horizon in finance industry under the guidance of world-leading professors. In addition to that, I chose Nottingham because it is a campus university, which is very comfortable to live and study in.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

I have found the student support here invaluable, whether it is personal, academic or related to careers. There is always someone here to help, who listens and doesn’t make you feel like a number. Especially, when being under highly extreme stress during the examination seasons, the University Counselling Service offers free confidential mental consultations to all students, which allows you to pop over and have an one-to-one talk with consultant to release stress and get rid of negative energy. I feel that I have never been left here since there is always people to help me and lend me a helping hand when needed.

What is the best thing about your course?

Studying Masters in Banking and Finance in Nottingham Business School, I have wealthy opportunities to approach contemporary issues in financial industry and banking system, in particular. The reputation of MSc Banking and Finance course at University of Nottingham is worldwide accredited. Ideally, the distinguished core module Consumers, Ethics and Regulation in Finance of the course naturally attracts me as I have been looking for an opportunity to be guided by leading financial industry experts to satisfy my intellectual desire Under the guidance of world-leading professors, we have been conducting a great deal of modern financial analysis models which could not be found in any other institution around the world. I find lectures, seminars and workshops in my course are extremely engaging, interactive and highly practical. On top of that, MSc Banking and Finance students have access to The Centre for Risk, Banking and Financial Services (CRBFS) – the centre provides a wide-ranging, inclusive forum for the discussion and dissemination of relevant, impactful research in the area. This is a unique collaboration between all stakeholder groups in financial services and works with a network of practitioners and academics at Nottingham, across the UK and internationally.

What societies have you got involved with?

It’s so hard to pick a favourite society to be a part among more than 200 societies in Nottingham due to the limited time when you study Masters. However, I always try to balance between my studies and social activities. Now I am an active member of Acapella Society and Squash Society. Needless to say, these societies bring me opportunities to make new friends and I am able to surround myself with quality people and find my place within the university. Especially, instead of joining a gym, joining Squash Society allows me to have fun and increase my fitness at the same time. Joining a sports society is a good way to de-stress from university and work responsibilities while having fun!

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

Living in on-campus student accommodation is the great choice for me. Situated less than a 5-minute walk from the Jubilee and close bus stops to the city centre, Raleigh Park is definitely an ideal place. There is a junior common room for social activities and games with your roomies which is said to have a great atmosphere and be the perfect place to make new friends. Also, we have a silent study area, so you can feel the academic motivation to boost your mood. This is a great way to not only get housing, but to live and interact with people who come from different countries around the world. The application process for the accommodation was way too easy and I did not have any issue since I was supported by very enthusiastic staff.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

Have a well-prepare plan before starting your academic year! Organize everything into a spreadsheet and strictly adhere to them since it would be easier for you to have things done on time and to the fullest extent. And don’t forget to get involved with Student Union early and don’t be afraid of joining society. They are great ways to make friends and make the most out of your time at Nottingham

Posted in International Student Ambassadors