March 23, 2020, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Felipe from Colombia

Felipe is a Colombian student studying MSc Finance and Investment

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

I have two main reasons. First, the university is ranked on the top 10 universities in the UK, the business school is ranked on the top 60 business schools by the Financial Times which was one of the most relevant points when I was doing my election. The second is the green spaces and the sports facilities. Being surrounded by nature, having green spaces to take a rest for me it is important, and the campus has the best amenities. Moreover, the sports village (David Ross and Jubilee Campus) are amazing has all what a student needs to distract his/herself for studies, know people and off course being in shape.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

I had enjoyed different places around the university, but the Portland coffee shop is my beloved place. This spot in the university can be a great place to have a chat with your friends, have an appointment to develop your coursework, hearing some good music, reading a book, have a scape of your lectures and off course delighting yourself with a great coffee with a good piece of cake or a biscuit. And if your mood change, in the other side of the building, it is located Mooch, the university bar where do you can have a fresh pint or even though an amazing dinner with your friends.

What is the best thing about your course?

The best thing about the MSc in Finance and Investment is having the possibility to meet people from around the world and know that in the near future you could call them friends (this experience I think applies for every program in the university as well). Sharing time with different kind of people who have a mother language, culture, experiences and customs different than our own enrich the experience of being in this course because more than studying an specific field, understanding the diversity where we lived make us better people for the world.

What societies have you got involved with?

I am member of 4 societies whereof 3 of them I paid for be a membership and the other one, as international student, I got my membership. With this you can imagine which society is, International students society. This society give the student some hints about the life in Nottingham, activities that they do in the fresher week, coffee during the term and meeting and speaks to join the international students from all the university and why not start to make some friends. About the other three societies which I am member, one is the Public and Speaking society which has help me to improve my speaking English skills (in Spanish I feel like a passion to speak in public), the other one is society of guys who play football just for fun, it is like your group of friends who meets on the pitch to play a match for fun and finally my last one is the Colombian society, well it is not necessary to give to much explanation but this society is such as be close to home.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city?

The best thing I had enjoyed of Nottingham is that it is a walkable city. If you want to know more about the city you can do a walking tour by yourself (with some extra help like google maps) but after doing this you start to feel a belonging sentiment and find the magic behind Robin Hood’s city. Moreover, the city council every month has different kind of activities which as a student you can join (you will find free and paid activities), you decided what do you want to do.

What are you planning to do next with your career?

My plans after finishing my course in Nottingham is to find a job here in the UK, Europe (Spain and the Netherlands), United States or off course why not to come back to Colombia. However, I like to say we have to take one day at time, but dreaming is still valid and having a plan helps a lot to become these dreams come true.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

After you are pretty sure that your place is in the University of Nottingham try to use social media as much as possible. Here Facebook does a great job contacting former students or even actual students to have an advice for the accommodation, the budget, what is it mandatory to bring with you since home. Try to start contacting people from your own country of friends of friends that have been studying to feel more comfortable if you want to have a first talk with some one when you will arrive and finally do not be shy, as international student we are a lovely community, we feel the same shame at the first time but then you feel like home.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors