January 31, 2019, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Angeliki from Cyprus

Hi! I’m Angeliki! I come from a small Mediterranean island called Cyprus and I study Economics at the University of Nottingham!

Why did you choose to study Economics?

This question is so cliché; yet prospective Economic students Google this so often. Personally, my love for economics as a subject started developing during my IGCSE years. Back then, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to study but I knew that economics interested me and the fact that our era was/is filled with economic uncertainty urged me to want to learn more; learn more about government debt, deficits, “haircuts”, which were things that I’d hear about on a daily basis on the news. As I grew older, I started reading economic books, expanding my economic knowledge even further, and that’s when I realised that I was fascinated by Economics, especially by how tiny, rational and irrational decisions taken by individuals could affect the whole world. Thus, I would say that I chose economics because I wanted to have an even deeper understanding of economic phenomena. Nevertheless, so far I believe that I made the right decision, as I love my course.

Why did you choose to study at the University of Nottingham?

I fell in love with the university when I first came here at the age of 15. I had arranged a tour with one of the international student ambassadors back then, and I instantly fell in love. I imagined myself living and studying on the beautiful campus of University Park, and Nottingham became my first choice instantly. I was also amazed by the diversity of students on campus and, as an Erasmus traveller, with friends all over Europe that definitely played a big part in influencing my decision.

What attracted you to the UK?

As I said previously, the cultural diversity in the UK played a big role in my decision. But my decision to study in the UK also came from my admiration of the high level of education offered in Britain.

What was your experience of arriving in the UK?

It was quite challenging at the beginning because I was alone in a country miles away from home and I had to learn to live being away from family and friends. But as time passed, my family came to visit me and I made new friends. I realised that being independent is actually a good thing. Nevertheless, the whole experience of arriving was made better by the vibes of the city and the welcoming of students by the university.

How have you adapted to the climate?

Moving here from a Mediterranean island was a big change. The weather right now, in Cyprus, is 24 degrees, while here it’s 2 degrees. The difference is huge. I always feel like I’m wearing way too many clothes in comparison to others because I’m always so cold, but I think I’m getting used to it.

Why did you choose to live on campus and what are the best aspects of it?

I chose the University of Nottingham because of its magnificent campus. Therefore, living off campus wasn’t something I wanted to consider. I live on Jubilee Campus and my lectures are all at University Park so I get to experience both campuses and I consider that a gift. The greenery around campus is unreal. Walking through the forests and seeing squirrels and bunnies and ducks all around is amazing. It honestly feels and looks like it’s made out of a fairytale. Moreover, I adore the contrast between the two campuses. I love the old and picturesque buildings at University Park, but I also adore the sustainable and modern buildings on Jubilee.

If you have any questions about studying at the University of Nottingham as an international student, you can get in touch with our International Ambassadors via email.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors