April 9, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Eli from the United States

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Eli is from the United States and is studying MA Public Policy. Here are his thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

I chose the University of Nottingham for its excellent academic reputation, its location in a fun, midsized city and for the opportunity to continue playing lacrosse at university level. I considered other UK universities but thought the University of Nottingham would be the best fit academically, socially, and athletically and I was right!

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

The people! The University is massive, with tens of thousands of students from all over the world. It’s been wonderful meeting new people with different perspectives and different experiences. It really adds to the cosmopolitan atmosphere of the university and the city beyond, making for a dynamic social setting and a rewarding academic discourse in the classroom.

What is the best thing about your course?

Sorry to repeat myself but I’d have to say the diversity of my peers and colleagues and the international nature of the classroom. It’s like a mini U.N. forms every classroom discussion.

Besides that, I’ve really enjoyed the freedom I’ve been allowed in directing my studies. The MA Public Policy course really encourages students to self-direct their education and hone in on a topic that they’re passionate about.

If you won a scholarship, what scholarship was this?

Unfortunately, my decision to study at Nottingham came relatively late and I missed the deadline for scholarship applications. However, I was fortunate enough to be granted an athletic scholarship as a member of the Men’s Lacrosse team.

What was your first impression of the University of Nottingham?

University Park is gorgeous! I came in late summer and was able to explore the campus as the leaves were starting to change. I was pleasantly surprised by how green it was.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

When I’m not studying or training for lacrosse, I really like to read. There are a couple of good used bookstores in Nottingham which is a plus! Besides that, I really enjoy drawing, cycling, and exploring the city. I love to travel as well, so studying abroad has given me the opportunity to visit countries that I may not have, had I stayed in the States.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city?

People say that Nottingham has the most bars and restaurants per capita in all of England besides London. I haven’t fact checked this claim, but walking around the city it certainly feels that way. There’s a restaurant on every corner, and always more spots to enjoy!

What are you planning to do next with your career?

While nothing is certain, I feel I have a couple of options open to me after graduation. As I’m passionate about helping those in need, a program such as the Peace Corps where I’d be able to offer aid to the internationally underserviced is certainly appealing. On the other hand, I may jump straight into a more traditional public service career, starting at the New York State Assembly based in Albany, NY, where I did my undergraduate studies. The ultimate goal would be finding work at the United Nations headquarters in New York City. We’ll see what the future has in store.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

Enjoy it! It’s easy to get caught up in the stresses of schoolwork, or life in general. I just try to keep in mind how fortunate I am to be able to study here and live in a foreign country, and I try to embrace all the intangible benefits of travelling, or meeting new people. I guess that gets to another point of being open to new experiences and new people. Take advantage of the international atmosphere that the University of Nottingham provides.

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers