March 19, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Hao from China

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Hao is from China and is studying Computer Science. Here are his thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

It has a good reputation and was ranked in the top 100 universities worldwide by QS World University Rankings. It also has a Campus in China and Malaysia and is great for overseas students.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

I love sports and enjoy playing basketball and swimming, the University has perfect sporting facilities and gymnasiums.

What is the best thing about your course?

That it makes you work hard, that way, we learn more about computers. Lectures are also concentrated in two teaching buildings on Jubilee Campus so there is no need to travel too far for my lectures.

What was your first impression of the University of Nottingham?

It’s a very beautiful university, the University Park campus resembles a park and its classical and modern teaching buildings make me feel comfortable.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

Usually, I watch some movies and play mobile game with my friends. I enjoy playing basketball and running too.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city?

I love Nottingham city, it has a good living environment and complete infrastructures.

What is your experience so far of the University of Nottingham?

Excellent, I am able to study well and live well. You do need time to adapt to the food here but the people here are very friendly.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

I live near the city center, this is a little further away from Jubilee Campus, so I do need to take the bus every day. However, rent is cheaper than some student flats and it is very convenient when you need to buy something.

What have you learnt from being a student at the University of Nottingham?

Studying here is different from studying at universities in China. We need to learn and research more by ourselves and plan our time efficiently.

What are you planning to do next with your career?

I will try to be more involved in the Student’s Union and find a part-time job or internship in the next few years of my undergraduate study. After that, I may choose to undertake a master’s degree.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

Prepare yourself well for your studies and enjoy living here. Your time at Nottingham will be a wonderful moment in your life, the students and teachers here will help you a lot in preparation for your future.

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers