March 15, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassador: Ellie from China

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Ellie is from China and is studying MSc Human Resource Management and Organisation. Here are her thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

The University of Nottingham has campuses in the U.K., China and Malaysia and enjoys a very high reputation in China. It’s definitely a great university with the best academic atmosphere. It is recognized by a lot of famous enterprises in my country and is also one of the world’s top 100 universities.

Before I came, I did some research about UoN and Nottingham city. It’s an international university, with many international students joining them every year. This diversity was very attractive to me! Besides, Nottingham is located at the very centre of England and the life here is quite peaceful compared to big cities, like London or Manchester, which is exactly what I wanted!

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

There are many things I like at UoN. The infrastructure for students is perfect! There are libraries on different campuses and you can find everything you want for lectures. The beautiful campuses are also worth mentioning; University Park Campus is huge with a garden style, while Jubilee Campus is modern. The university also offers hopper busses from campus to campus, so don’t worry if you want to take a class or have fun on other campus.

Additionally, the university offers career lectures and language support classes every week. Which is perfect for all international students, if you are looking for a job or want to improve your English.

What is the best thing about your course?

For my course, the best thing is that we can learn something really practical and it’s not all just about the theory, which is really important for working in Human Resources. The course also allows us to discuss different cases as part of different groups in every lecture. It’s a great opportunity for everyone to share ideas and express their opinions. More importantly, the course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), which is meaningful for our career development.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

In my spare time, I really enjoy watching movies using my projector or doing some online shopping at dorm, this always makes me feel cozy. I will go to the gym around 4 times a week to keep fit and I also enjoy travelling. As long as you get a Schengen Visa, you can visit many European countries and it’s only a short plane trip. I am always so thrilled when visiting a different country and getting a feel for their unique culture. You can definitely learn a lot whilst travelling.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

Based on my personal experience, an en-suite room with a shared kitchen is great. You have a completely private space in addition to your roomies (which means you won’t feel lonely when you first arrive to a new country). I believe to most Chinese students, cooking is necessary, so I would recommend choosing a dorm with a kitchen. Distance from accommodation to the campus also cannot be ignored. My dormitory is not far from campus, just a 10 minute walk, so I don’t need to get up too early in the morning.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

Firstly, do not just stay with the students from your own country! Be confident in communicating with other international students and share your ideas. Secondly, prepare some basic cooking skills before you come here. It helps a lot whilst you get used to local food and saves money. Finally, always review and preview your work if your English is not perfect and you want to get a nice mark.

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers