February 21, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Naman from India

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Naman is from India and is studying BA Economics. Here are his thoughts on life at Nottingham. 

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

Diversity and proportion of International Students; Campus-based University, ranking of Economics Course.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

The University Park Lake and the serenity associated with that place.

What is the best thing about your course?

The faculty and the teaching material.

What was your first impression of the University of Nottingham?

The fact that it’s a huge as well as green campus with great infrastructure. The ducks were pretty cool too!

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

I go for Skydiving, play drums and read fiction. I’m the drummer for the band and my band plays the genre ‘Djent’. Moreover, I’m in the process of getting my A License for Skydiving for which I’m working really hard.

The societies that I’m involved in are BandSoc (Treasurer), Skydiving, Emerging Markets, NEFS and Sinfonia. So, I believe it’s an amalgam of these activities that take up most of my time.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city?

The food.

What is your experience so far of the University of Nottingham?

It’s been really inspiring and the university has allowed me to grow as a person.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

It’s like another family from home.

What are you planning to do next with your career?

Working towards joining one of the Big 4 as a Management Consultant.

What is your favourite thing about your course?

The relevance of the study material to the world right now.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

Living away from home is really tough and the best thing to cope with is to not think about it. I believe being proactive and talking to new people is ideal for dealing with the immense pressure.

Moreover, no matter what happens it’s important to deal with any situation calmly. As easy as that sounds it requires a lot of experience and Nottingham has really been the cradle for that experience for me. So, I would encourage every student to get out of their comfort zone and live a life that they aspire to live.

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers