February 20, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassador: Oliwia from Poland

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Oliwia is from Poland and is studying BA Hons Management with Chinese Studies. Here are her thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

Studying in the United Kingdom had always been a great dream of mine. The perspective of facing new challenges and getting to know new culture, that is connected with studying abroad, could not sound better for me. Few were the universities that offered Management with Chinese Studies, which was my dream course, but the University of Nottingham was the one that opened up an opportunity for me to study what I loved to. Moreover, what distinguishes the University of Nottingham is that it has campuses in Malaysia and China. Going for a semester or even for whole year to the campus in Asia gives an excellent opportunity to experience living on a new continent.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

Thousands of students speaking many different languages, coming from all parts of the world and representing many various cultures – it is my favorite thing about studying at the University of Nottingham. Living in the multicultural environment broadens horizons and shapes personality. I believe that thanks to people around me I have strengthened  my understanding of different cultures. No matter what are the backgrounds of students, we all build the community of the University of Nottingham and make friends with each other. It is a marvelous experience!

What is the best thing about your course?

To me, the most outstanding aspect of being a student of Management with Chinese Studies is that I can combine both areas of my interests – language and culture of China with business. Not only does this course provide me with the opportunity to develop my skills in terms of management and Mandarin, but also I have modules that give me an insight into business in China. I am sure that this combination of subjects will be tremendously profitable for my future career. Another positive aspect of my course is that, as a person who studied Mandarin in high school, I could start learning Mandarin from a higher level, instead of starting from scratch, as the University offers many classes of different levels of the language.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

I believe that travelling gives a lot of unforgettable experience, especially while travelling through the ocean on a small yacht or on an immense barquentine. My childhood hobby, sailing, turned into a passion that shaped my personality. To me, not only does the sea teach how to work in diverse conditions, but also it shows one’s real character. The magnificence of sailing is that it constantly brings new challenges. I remember when on “School Afloat” 2000-mile journey I was steering the barquentine during a big storm. Because of the wind force, it was nearly impossible to keep the ship sailing in the right direction. Another unforgettable experience for me was when I was sailing through the Gibraltar Strait and the Captain entrusted me with adjusting one of the main sails.  The prospect of climbing on the yard and tying sailor knots 42 meters above the deck was terrifying. With all of the courage I could muster, I reached the top of the mast and adjusted the sail. The beauty of the sea was breathtaking but it required conquering your fears and that is exactly the reason I love this sport.

What societies have you got involved with?

As a student of Management with Chinese Studies I try to seize an opportunity that studying at the University of Nottingham gives me in terms of areas of my interests and passions. Being a member of Women in Finance Team in the Nottingham Economics and Finance Society gives me an insight into the world of business and helps me to meet professionals during the networking events. I also attend Contemporary China Society meetings, where I improve my Chinese language skills and widen my knowledge about China. But of course, it is not just about studying, as being a member of societies gives a golden opportunity to meet new people and try something new. I am also a part of Latin, Ballroom and Salsa Society, in which I learn completely new moves while dancing to the rhythm of catchy Cuban songs.

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers