February 16, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassador: Deborah from Germany

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Deborah is from Germany and is studying MA American Studies. Here are her thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

My first reason to study at the University of Nottingham was the amazing offer of courses, including exactly the one I wanted: the American Studies Department at the Uni is the biggest in Europe. Secondly, I chose this Uni because studying in Nottingham would put me in the heart of the UK, with excellent links to every major city in the country. Studying at the University of Nottingham also meant studying at one of the top institutions worldwide.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

My favorite thing about the University of Nottingham is the balance between student and social life you can achieve while at Uni. Next to the vast offer of courses, there are many on- and off-campus activities to choose from, including societies, sports clubs, and volunteering opportunities.

What is the best thing about your course?

The freedom we get in choosing topics and ways to approach them.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city? 

Nottingham might not be the biggest city in the world, but everything you’ll need you’ll find if you look for it. There are excellent transportation links between city and Uni, so getting there couldn’t be any easier. Nottingham has a rich history, but it has just as much of a modern flair to it. The city is full of students, so it’s not surprising that there are countless cafés where you can spend time working on assignments, restaurants to strengthen yourself, and pubs where you’ll soon feel at home.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

Since I am staying in student accommodation and do not rent privately, I can only say so much about the private sector. As far as accommodation in halls is concerned, I like how close you are to your friends, and how easy it is to get to campus from there. Broadgate Park, my hall of residence, is a mere two-minute walk from the West entrance of University Park, and well connected to the city by various bus services and well as the tram. Getting into the city takes (obviously depending on traffic) around 15 minutes.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

Don’t stress yourself out. Easier said than done, I know, but try it out and you’ll find it’s true. Everybody coming here is in the same boat. Everybody is equally confused and will need time to settle in and sort things out. And trust me when I say that every single person new to the Uni is looking for a friend to go through thick and thin with, so don’t be afraid to approach people. Also, ask as many questions as you possibly can, about your course, about the Uni, the city, what life is like around Nottingham…ask about literally everything.

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers