February 5, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Alyssa from the USA

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Alyssa is from the USA and is studying BA Archaeology and Ancient History. Here are her thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

As I began searching for the perfect University, I fell in love with all things University of Nottingham! I was most interested in finding a university which ranked high in student satisfaction, international community, opportunities for involvement, as well as employability after graduation. Ultimately, I applied to the University of Nottingham because I knew it would be the perfect fit for me. As the university is ranked in the top 100 universities worldwide and the top 15 in the UK in the QS World University rankings I knew the University displayed something special, and I am yet to be disappointed.

I have always enjoyed travelling, meeting new people, and exploring different cultures and the Universities international community has allowed me to explore these passions. With students from over 150 different countries, there is an incredible diversity that the university possess.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

One of my favourite things about the University of Nottingham is its prime location in the midlands allowing my love of travelling to become a reality. Nottingham is less than 2 hours away from London by train and you can easily travel abroad from East Midlands Airport (located only 40 minutes away by bus). I have taken advantage of this, travelling to Borovets, Bulgaria and Dubrovnik in Croatia to name a few.

I also love that the University of Nottingham is a campus based university, set just 15 minutes outside the city. The city’s transportation links make it possible to easily head into the city, whether that be by catching the bus or the tram. The city has even been named the least car dependent city in the UK.

With over 300 acres of land and a lake, University Park Campus boasts such a beautiful backdrop to any day. Whilst I lived on University Park Campus I often found taking a walk around was so natural and refreshing!

What is the best thing about your course?

One of the best things about my course is that many of the professors are some of the best in their fields. They are continually involved with new research making the education on offer as current as possible.

For example, my dissertation supervisor travels all over the world and has featured in many television documentaries to discuss his subject! To work under his guidance has been an amazing experience.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

As University accommodation was to be my home away from home for a few years I was looking for something that would suit me perfectly. My first year I choose to be in a catered accommodation which included bills, Wi-Fi, and also 19 meals per week in term! As a first year student it was really useful to be in a catered hall as meal times were a great way to socialize and make friends. The hall managers were fabulous and always looked after us. As I always had packages coming for me from the states, the hall managers quickly got to know me, and looked after me. With 24-hour security, and card only access to my hall I always felt safe, and at ease.

What are you planning to do next with your career?

Having had such an amazing experience at the University of Nottingham, I want to pursue a career in a university international office! I want to utilise all of the experience I’ve gained during my time here and share that with prospective international students so they can enjoy the once in a lifetime experience that being an international student offers to the same extent I have.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

One of my tops tips for international students is to GET INVOLVED! You’re not often going to be able to have the same opportunities arise twice, and therefore I believe it is important to be involved with as many activities that the University offers as possible! From volunteering opportunities, to student led groups and over 200 societies and 70 sports, the University provides something for everyone! The plus side is that if there’s something you’re interested that the University doesn’t yet offer, you can petition to create your own society or sports team!

For example, during my time here, I have been heavily involved in Cheerleading! It’s allowed me to make so many friends and have some amazing experiences with the squad. I am so thankful the University offers a wide range of sporting opportunities as this is something I have always been passionate about! It has also made me feel at home, as this was the sport I grew up with!

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers