January 3, 2018, by International students

My top tips and recommendations

By Amna Sandhu from Pakistan, who recently completed an MSc Banking and Managerial Economics degree at Nottingham with a Business School scholarship.

Proudest achievement: My proudest achievement was how I thrived throughout the year. It took effort to work continuously, to have a social life and to travel but it was all worth it.

Most memorable moment in class: When you realize everyone in class is as lost as you are. Moreover, the culturally distinct class discussions were always a highlight and a learning experience.

Best advice I was given: Accept, explore and learn from the diversity that the University of Nottingham has to offer.

I wish I was told: That the daytimes are odd and totally out of proportion in summers and winters. Plus, the cold and gloomy weather does not end with just the winters.

Top recommendation (academic): Choose modules according to your strengths per the assessment criteria and module breakdown, however, do not be afraid to try something new.

Tip: Try out all the libraries and study rooms available on campus and find your spot. Choose a place that feels comfortable, as you will be spending a lot of your time there throughout the year. Personally, I found the South building library the most suitable, it had a beautiful view and the convenience of a café for a quick coffee break.

Amna with the Nottingham sign

Top recommendation (Nottingham): Try to find a balance between studying and exploring. Nottingham has a lot to offer in terms of food, places to see and things to do. Do not be afraid to try new things, however, best not to try everything at once. Longer trips are better planned ahead, as train tickets are cheap to buy in advance. Britian is a beautiful country, totally worth exploring and this is your chance.

You can read Amna’s previous blog post here.

Posted in AcademicScholarships