April 29, 2016, by International students

Meet our Student Callers: Yan from China

Yan seaside 600x300

If you hold an offer to study at The University of Nottingham, you might be lucky enough to receive a call from one of our international students. Chinese student Yan is studying a Master of Research in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. 

Why did you choose to study at Nottingham?

The reason why I chose to study at Nottingham is because of my previous University’s cooperative project with UoN, so I knew a lot about it. I also met a professor in the University of Nottingham who is very kind and helpful.

What is your favourite thing about living in Nottingham?

I think living in Nottingham is very convenient and safe.  You can buy everything you want in our city centre. Some students may miss their mother country’s food, but please don’t worry!  There are many different kinds of markets you can choose from, such as Asiana Nottingham Express, Orientalmart and so on.

Where is your favourite place in Nottingham, and why?

Uni Park 600x650

My favourite place is University Campus, especially the lakeside where I can see many swans and ducks. I like walking around the lake to see the beautiful scenery, some children playing around the lake, and some people taking photos of squirrels.

Squirrel 600x400

Where is your favourite place to eat out in Nottingham, and why?

Cosmo and May Sum. In Cosmo I can eat many different foods from around the world and it is also a good place to eat out with friends, while in May Sum you can eat authentic Chinese food.

Are you part of any societies?

I joined in the Latin, Ballroom and Salsa (LBSS) society, where I met many new friends with the same interest. Every week we will have different level courses to learn Latin, Ballroom and Salsa, no matter if you are a total beginner or an expert.

What’s the most frequently asked question students ask you, and what advice do you give them?

The most frequently asked questions are about the accommodation in Nottingham and CELE courses. Many students prefer to choose on-campus accommodation, because it will be more convenient and safe. You can also have more chance to stay with your friends.

While some student may struggle to pass IELTS to meet their conditional offer, our university provides many CELE courses to improve our English language skills.

What’s your number one tip for international/EU students coming to Nottingham?

Learn to accept new things, including new environments,  friends and life. Try to join some societies or activities which can make you less homesick and also improve your interpersonal skills.

What are you hoping to do after you graduate/finish your course?

Because I’m doing a double master degree, I need to go to China to continue my master after I graduate from Nottingham. I really enjoy studying here, so maybe I’ll plan to apply for a Ph.D. in the UK to further my research.

Posted in AcademicAccommodationCultural integrationFoodInternational Student callersNottingham citySocieties