March 28, 2017, by The Ingenuity Lab

Ingenuity17 Meet the Speakers: Susan Hallam

‘Things are changing at a phenomenal rate, and this is your opportunity’ – Susan Hallam at the Ingenuity17 Conference

During Ingenuity17, a range of experienced business men and women have mentored entrants, and helped them on their journey to #IgniteTheMind.

The Ingenuity17 Conference was the first opportunity mentors, speakers and entrants had the opportunity to meet, network and collaborate. As the competition develops, and entrants get closer to the £110,000+ prize fund, we will be showcasing some of the successful entrepreneurs supporting and paving the way for the next generation…

This week it’s the turn of Digital Marketer and Founder of Hallam Internet,  Susan Hallam!

Company

Hallam Internet

Role

Founder, and Managing Director

What is your educational background?

I have an MSc in Information Science from Drexel University in Philadelphia, USA, and a BA in Political Science. I studied as an exchange student in the UK and decided to stay!

How did you originally get involved with The Ingenuity Lab?

Ingenuity17, Ingenuity17 Conference, The Ingenuity Lab, Susan Hallam, Jess Salisbury, Study-me, Nottingham University

One of the Ingenuity17 entrants asking Susan about her digital marketing strategy

I have been involved with The Ingenuity Lab for quite a little while, I’ve known Steve Chapman for more than 10 years, and have provided individual coaching for one of The Ingenuity Lab’s startup companies.

How did you find the Ingenuity17 Conference?

There was great energy and enthusiasm at the conference, and I really enjoyed the buzz.  I was only able to see a few of the speaker sessions, but they were inspiring and I came away with some great ideas. But my favourite bit was hanging around after my session, and having a Q&A with a dozen or so entrepreneurs.  What a fantastic day!

What piece of advice would you give to anyone interested in setting up their own business?

My one piece of advice to any new entrepreneur is to find the “sweet spot” for your business which is the intersection of three things:  something you’re good at, something you’re passionate about, and something that will make money. If you don’t have all three things you may find that you’re happy but poor, or rich and bored, or just a failure. Also, buy yourself a good chair. You’re going to spend a lot of time working at your desk, so invest in a good chair!

What are the key challenges hat new entrepreneurs face when setting up a business?

I think the greatest challenge facing new entrepreneurs is keeping momentum.  It is going to be hard work. It is going to take a long time. Things are going to go wrong. It is going to take over your life. But all the successful entrepreneurs I know have the tenacity success demands and they have kept the momentum.

What work are you currently involved in?

I’m currently in the process of growing my own business. We currently employ 35 people, and I’m driving the business forward to be one of the largest agencies in the UK.

To any entrepreneurs interested in digital marketing tips and the digital marketing industry follow Susan Hallam on Twitter or visit her website.

Please do ensure you subscribe to this blog to keep updated about our events and activities!  You can also follow us on FacebookTwitterLinkedIn and Instagram.

Posted in CompetitionEventsMentorsPromotionShowcase